Thread: Help with Sekonic L-358DR

45-57-617

Help with Sekonic L-358DR

Hi,

New meter and some confusion...

I put the meter on incident aperture mode and get the following: f5.6 0.8sec and a smaller '0' to the right of the f-stop number of 5.6.

I turn the jog wheel to get the following ...

f5.0 0.8sec '3'
    f4.5 0.5sec '0'
    f4.0 0.4sec '0'
    f3.6 0.4sec '3'
    f3.2 0.25sec '0'

Can someone explain the small number to me please ? The manual says it is a tenth fraction of a deviation from the figure given BUT ... it seems to me that the fraction could be higher or lower than the figure given. In the example given, you can see clearly the meter is telling me that I should set my shutter to 0.4 sec for f4.0 but then at f3.6 I should shoot a shutter speed slower by 3 tenths of I guess it is the difference between 0.4 and 0.5 sec ??
    ie. a shutter speed of 0.43 sec !!

There is no negative sign or other indication on the meter. It should of course be something like 0.355 sec.

I've set the meter to go up or down in 1/3 increments on the jog wheel. To have this tenths scale also is confusing when there is no +ve and -ve !!

All of this is of course quite moot when using any LF shutter !! (But I've got my Galli shutter method going to this accuracy I'm sure.)

Sometimes offering the technology without making it easy is silly eh ?

Cheers,

Steve

Re: Help with Sekonic L-358DR

Hi,

when you take the battery cover off, what DIP Switches look like? Are 3 and 4 in OFF position?

Tomasz

45-57-617

Hi Tomasz,

Sorry. I've made a blunder. IT's a 758DR. Admins ... please delete this thread.

Cheers,

Hi,

I was thinking that it is 758, what you see are 1/10th of the stop what with combination of increments of shutter speed and aperture of 1/3 rd maybe confusing.

Please turn off your meter then press and hold MODE button and while holding MODE, press and hold POWER button until meter will turn on.

You will be in advanced menu. You should see 01 0 . Scroll wheel up twice until you see 03. I guess you will see 03 1 -> it means 1/3 of the stop. Press MODE few times until you see 03 0. It means full stops and 1/10th of the stop. Power OFF the meter and power it ON again. Now meter should display full stops 1.4 2 2.8 4.0 5.6 8.0 11 16 etc and smaller number which means 1/10th of the stop. for example 16 8 = F16 and 8/10th of the stop. F16 3 = 16 and 1/3rd of the stop = F18.
    I find it more logical this way = full stops + 1/10th of the stop

45-57-617

Thanks Tomasz,

So itis not the done thing to have the meter set for 1/3rd stops and than also the tenths ...

Is it always going to be something plus a fraction ? Is it never something minus the fraction ?

For LF the third stops is hard to achieve let alone tenth stops !

(I purchased the meter for the PocketWizard capabilities I should say having proven that the L-358 with transmitter does not work with Plus III - CE version)

This extra resolution of the L-758DR is more of a novelty I should say.

Cheers,

Based on what I was able to find:

- meter always shows tenths, regardless if full stops, half or 1/3rd are selected via advanced menu. Please see in right bottom corner under the table http://www.sekonic.com/downloads/l-7...ck_english.pdf and also in manual on page 44.

- it displays PLUS that much tenths above what shutter speed and F stop displays

- if you only use full stops just switch the meter to full stops and meter will display in full stops + tenths, it is very easy to use this way after day or two. 0/10 to 4/10 you will round down to displayed F stop, 5/10 to 9/10 round up to next full f stop. For example 5.6 3/10 = 5.6, 5.6 8/10 = 8

Tenths are useful when using studio flash, some can be adjusted in 1/10th

I think that spot meter is worth upgrading from 358

I'm not sure if you are using spot meter but this is the method I use:

for b/w or color negative film

clear memory - hold mode and press m.clear
    1) set your ISO
    2) switch mode to ambient (sun symbol) / aperture
    3) set your aperture
    4) using spot meter measure your highlights with details, press memory button (one on the opposite side of measuring button)
    5) using spot meter measure your shadows with details, press memory button
    6) on the analog scale below you will see your scene range =bigger marking points (ignore flashing ones) - you can tell if this is within range of your film or not (each number is 1 stop). To find out your shutter speed please see below
    7) lets assume you want to position your shadow with details on zone III (meter measure it as zone V), press and hold mid.tone button and while holding it rotate jog wheel UP until LEFT mark will be on top of -2 on the scale (10 clicks on jog wheel = 1 stop). Without releasing mid.tone button note T value - this will be your shutter speed for that ISO and F stop with shadows with details on zone III
    Right mark will show you where you highlights with details will be. 0 on the scale will be zone V, so if for example your right mark will be on top of +3, your highlights will be on zone VIII.

If you would like to recall correct exposure for shadows press and hold mode and press mid.tone, after you can release both keys, now M 0 below battery indicator will start flashing and on display you will see again values T and F for shadows in zone III

for transparency film

clear memory - hold mode and press m.clear
    1) set your ISO
    2) switch mode to ambient (sun symbol) / aperture
    3) set your aperture
    4) using spot meter measure your shadows with details, press memory button (one on the opposite side of measuring button)
    5) using spot meter measure your highlights with details, press memory button
    6) on the analog scale below you will see your scene range =bigger marking points (ignore flashing ones) - you can tell if this is within range of your film or not (each number is 1 stop). To find out your shutter speed please see below
    7) for transparencies highlights should be ~ on zone VI+1/2 - VII (1.5 - 2 stops above zone V), press and hold mid.tone button and while holding it rotate jog wheel DOWN until RIGHT mark will be between +1 and 5 clicks and +2 on the scale (10 clicks on jog wheel = 1 stop). Without releasing mid.tone button note T value - this will be your shutter speed for that ISO and F stop with highlights with details on selected zone.
    Left mark will show you where you shadows with details will be. 0 on the scale will be zone V, so if for example your right mark will be on top of +2, your highlights will be on zone VII.

If you would like to recall correct exposure for highlights press and hold mode and press mid.tone, after you can release both keys, now M 0 below battery indicator will start flashing and on display you will see T and F for highlights in selected zone.

45-57-617

Thanks again Tomasz,

I really need to spend some time with this new unit. I'm finding it a bit hard to find the time - let alone all the learning !!

Cheers,