Thread: using the pentax spot meter

using the pentax spot meter

I am looking at several questions on spot meters.My question help on the correct use of the meter.

Any help please.

Thank You

Oh it's the pentax ditgal zone IV.

Chuck,

This isn't a brush-off answer but do you have a manual for the meter? There's some info in there about how to use and apply the readings rather than dry "Press button A then button B" type instructions.

For "seeing" with the meter, have a read through Ansel Adam's "The Negative" for a wealth of general info and background knowledge. It's mainly on B&W but the principles apply to colour as well up to a point.

I mainly shoot B&W so use my digital spot for highlight / shadow readings and I've also got the Zone VI sticker to help with placing tones. For colour, of which I've taken very little, I've used the IRE scale of 0 to 10 and got some perfectly decent trannies by putting lining up the reading of the highlight (not specular) against the "10" and seeing where the shadows fall in relation to the "0."

Fire away with any questions and I'm sure somebody on here can help - there's enough people using the meters on here...

I use one of several methods.

Meter a midtone and expose as indicated.

Meter a highlite and shadow and if there is less than five stops, average the readings and expose.

Certain subjects need only one reading such as cross lighted snow. Meter and expose 1 1/2 stops more than reading.

Caucasian flesh- 1 stop more than reading.

Spring green grass is middle grey. Summer grass is 1 stop less than spring.

Certain cloud formations contain a middle grey, usually on the bottom side of certain clouds.

Averaging the brightest reading and darkest reading is a decent way for beginners to start. Remember where certain tones fall in your typical subjects so that you will develope your own table of tones and exposures as above.