Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oh boy...what have I done?

Re: Oh boy...what have I done?

Welcome to large format. It's fun and rewarding.
    Like many here, I have carried cameras all over the place, up mountains and everywhere else. If being outdoors was my passion, I wouldn't choose a rail camera, I would go more for a folding box camera, preferably in wood. There are many good ones, all that weigh a lot less than something metal with a rail.

I'm carrying around an Ebony 4x5 these days, aged redwood and titanium gears that work like butter, but I have a Wista that's even lighter and I really had to restrain myself from buying a Wisner Flight that weighs even less and has a red bellows and brass fittings. All of these can be carried for many miles by someone like yourself and has all the swings and tilts. etc. One or two lenses and a few holders, a light meter and off you go…

I also think that this place is the best place to buy anything large format. I have had excellent luck. People are nice, they are usually quite helpful and honest. The Wisner flight was never sold, I think… just in case you are interested.

Have fun!

Lenny -- also in CA
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Hey, Lenny, thanks a lot for that.

Funny, just yesterday I was reading a couple of threads in which you'd participated quite heavily--one was about drum scanners, another about various digital printing methods and the pros and cons versus optical printing, inks, etc.--and I visited your website. Your work is fantastic. I like the no-compromise service you're offering. I've already filed your business away in my mind if the time ever comes when I might need the services you provide. Not terribly likely, but you never know.

I can't see the Wisner for sale yet. New members don't have access to the buy/sell forum for 30 days. I haven't read much about Wisners yet. Mostly the Canhams, Chamonixs, Toyos, Toho, a bit about Wista, and maybe one or two others.

A light field camera is definitely an objective. There are some high Sierra summits with routes I love from which I'd be thrilled to shoot 4x5s. The Sinar is definitely NOT going up there!

as i always say : craziness keeps us alive...its a dynamic respons to everyday life....

welcome on board....

i'm actually in a thermal spring... can you imaging how the people looked at me when i build up today the view camera in my bath rope photographing the people having a relax bath?!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	105993

i love this craziness 👍😄

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter K View Post
    ...and....

...after an intense several days of research, study, consultation, etc....
    That is the only part of the story that might be crazy. Generally if I see a good deal on something I know I'll like and then hem-and-haw it is gone by the time I decide. I'm getting a bit more impulsive in my old age after one too many disappointments.

Enjoy your new gear!

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter K View Post
    Hey, Lenny, thanks a lot for that.

Funny, just yesterday I was reading a couple of threads in which you'd participated quite heavily--one was about drum scanners, another about various digital printing methods and the pros and cons versus optical printing, inks, etc.--and I visited your website. Your work is fantastic. I like the no-compromise service you're offering. I've already filed your business away in my mind if the time ever comes when I might need the services you provide. Not terribly likely, but you never know.

I can't see the Wisner for sale yet. New members don't have access to the buy/sell forum for 30 days. I haven't read much about Wisners yet. Mostly the Canhams, Chamonixs, Toyos, Toho, a bit about Wista, and maybe one or two others.

A light field camera is definitely an objective. There are some high Sierra summits with routes I love from which I'd be thrilled to shoot 4x5s. The Sinar is definitely NOT going up there!
    Thanks for your kind words.

If you are nearby, or on your way somewhere, you can come for a visit. … I have a couple of view cameras I can show you if you are interested…

Best of luck!

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

If you do get the chance to pass through Petaluma ... don't miss the opportunity to visit Lenny ... you will learn and be inspired.