Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: You Know, This is How I Feed My Kids... On Field Etiquette

You Know, This is How I Feed My Kids... On Field Etiquette

I was in Paris a number of years ago, touring Monet's home and garden. On the same bus was a professional photographer with his wife, both fellow americans, and I was just hacking about with my little 35mm Canon Rebel. While I had been into photography fairly seriously when I was younger, at this point I was just doing the odd snapshot.... I didn't even own a tripod.

At one point as this guy was setting up his Pentax 67, I wandered up behind him (in a very public space) and said something to the effect of "now I know where to take my photos.... I'll just follow you around". The guy swung around quickly, and I just smiled and indicated that I was kidding him, and wandered away. Later, I found him sitting on a bench chatting with my wife, and he and his wife invited us to dinner and then to go over to a certain spot he had scouted to take photos of the Eiffel Tower. As I was a rank beginner to this type of photography, he helped me with film choice, let me use his tripod, taught me how to meter and expose in the twilight to capture the image without blowing out the highlights of the fountains in the foreground with a lovely artistic blur. He took his time and helped me out to no end. I have that photograph on my wall and kept in touch over the years, and I credit him for rekindling my love for photography.

Now days, I'll be at the beach or in a garden or out on the street and have my lens pointed at some strange thing.... and people will look at me and what I'm photographing like I'm nuts. I invite them to look through the camera, and I regularly get "Wow.... I didn't even see that", and many times they'll bend over with their point and shoot and attempt the same photo. I love it.... and I love sharing it. I try to avoid it, but occasionally I'll go to Yosemite, Point Lobos, Muir Woods, or somesuch and put my tripod legs in the same well-worn holes that Weston or Adams or Baer did.... and I invite anyone to do the same with the scratchings of my tripod legs wherever they may be found.

Cheers all. D.

Beverly Hills, California

I wonder if that was an underhanded message subconsciously directed at you as you're his only 'conceivable' threat?

Sorry Scott! I thought everyone here was from California;-)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I look at it this way, if the guy is scared that he might be outdone by a bunch of turists taking snap shots, then he must not be very good.

I am the only photographer in Mexico with a 12x20, invariably I get questions about the camera, film, etc, etc. Not only am I glad to answer them, but I let the people peek under the cloth. Many a times, the same people pick their p&s and take the same picture I just showed them. If I am loosing the light I ask them to let me take the pic and afterwards I would be glad to show them. This has given me more access to places that other wise would have been unaccesible to me, like shooting a cathedral from the roof of a house, etc. Than I can count.

There is no excuse to be rude, and unfortunatelly, the behavior of that one moron reflects bad on the rest of us. I have always thought I should make it easier for the next guy that shows up with a camera, if you promise a print, make sure you send it. It is only good manners.

Perhaps he was worried all those cameras would wear out the view?

In fact this is becoming a serious problem: it has been shown by environmentalists that digital cameras wear out the view at a much higher rate than film cameras. By the end of the 21st century, the Canadian Rockies will be about 3 feet high, Half Dome will have to be renamed Eighth Hillock and the Yosemite falls will need to be renamed Yosemite Pond...

Cheers,

There is a "Canadianised" version of This Land...:

This land is your land, this land is my land,
    From Bona Vista to Vancouver Island,
    From the Arctic Islands to the Great Lakes waters;
    This land was made for you and me.

Woody Guthrie's best verse that they don't teach you in elementary school:

As I went walking, I saw a sign there;

And on the sign there, It said, 'NO TRESPASSING.'

But on the other side, It didn't say nothing.

That side was made for you and me.

Not to mention:

In the squares of the city, In the shadow of a steeple;

By the relief office, I'd seen my people.

As they stood there hungry, I stood there asking,

Is this land made for you and me?

Ol' Woodie was a great one.

I enjoy having people come up and talk to me while I'm taking a photograph. A couple of months ago I was in a national park with my Agfa 8x10. A 70 year old guy came up to me and started telling me how he had used an identical Agfa 8x10 when he was a Army photographer during WWII. What made the conversation even more interesting is the fact that my AGFA has a plaque on the side of it that says "property of US ARMY" Maybe it was even THE camera he used in the military. Even when its only someone with a 35mm point and shot, I nearly always enjoy meeting people this way.

"I wonder if that was an underhanded message subconsciously directed at you as you're his only 'conceivable' threat? -- André, "

Probably more to the point than you might suppose and not too subconsciously either.
    Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure... Life is either daring adventure or nothing: Helen Keller.