You Know, This is How I Feed My Kids... On Field Etiquette

"This land is their land,
    It is not my land.
    I take my pictures
    which might get me banned."

etc....

Dave Karp

I guess it takes all kinds . . . . Wonder what this guy was thinking? Perhaps you should have recommended that for privacy and solitude he visit Tunnel View at Yosemite. Or perhaps Artist Point in Yellowstone. I am sure he would have enjoyed those locations very much!

Its fun talking to passers by who want to know something about my camera, and even take a look at the ground glass. Its almost inevitable that people will stop by when they see a view camera planted in an area and pull out their cameras and/or start asking questions. Why should anyone worry, unless you don't have time to chat due to changing wind, weather, or light conditions? Its even possible (if unlikely) that one of these passers by became motivated to try that large format thing by one of these encounters that all of us have had.

I hope his kids are receiving adequate nutrition.

Kirk Gittings wrote: "Hopefully we bring to a great image a lot more than simply where we planted our feet. Come set up next to me anytime!"

I assist with Kirk on his architectural and commercial photography. Often times if we think we may have some extra time to do some exploring, I will bring my cameras along.

It's interesting how many times Kirk and I will walk up to almost the exact same spot to photograph. Of course, Kirk does his fine art work in B&W and I shoot color. Then there is the difference in focal lengths used and combined with slightly different angles produce similar but quite different photographs.

Is one better than the other? Maybe, maybe not. But they are certainly different.

Scott,

Out of curiosity, which lake was it? A 'well-visited' lake in the Canadian Rockies sounds like Lake Louise, or Moraine Lake...

I've had many experiences with people standing tripod-to-tripod with me, and only once has it turned into a bad experience. Light was changing, and the idiot that set up right beside me kept bumping into my tripod. Not a lot of fun.

I've also been in situations where, because I've had a 'big' camera, others have asked me to take their picture with their camera. I don't mind doing it, but it can get tiring after a while. The best one tho, and this was a lot of fun, was a few months back when I was up at Tangle Falls on the way to Jasper - this younger guy and gal had climbed up to the top of the falls where myself and a friend were photographing. I had watched them climb up, and they were literally all over each other - holding hands, major lip-lock, and so on. They wandered over and asked nicely if I would take a picture of them with their digicam. I obliged, and as it turns out, he had proposed to her the night before. No wonder they were so giddy :-) I was more than happy to give them a photograph they will hopefully have forever.

Personally, I don't care if someone stands beside me and makes a photograph while pointed in the same direction as me - chances are they're shooting color (I only do B&W), and what I'm photographing is almost certainly different than what they see. So, let 'em take the shot. It'll be different.

Jim is absolutely right about that, because also our markets are very different too. He is shooting editorial stock and I am shooting for galleries. i would like to think that I bring something special to an image more than where I stand.

On the other hand Dave:

"Its fun talking to passers by who want to know something about my camera, and even take a look at the ground glass."

To me making images is preferably a solitary experience and I don't like to get distracted by tourists. On the other hand again, a tourist once contacted me and bought a print from a negative that I made when he was talking to me. He had a special connection with that image because of our conversation.

Generally speaking though I am polite but disengaed. Once when shooting an assignment for New Mexico Magazine on a stormy day, I waited an hour for the sun to come out just long enough to get the shot. As I was about to shoot a tourist walked up with some questions and I blew him off so I could do my job. Later I went up to him and explained and tried to apologize. He called the magazine managing editor complaining that I was rude and that I was hurting tourism! The editor told him that my images of NM were more valuable than my disposition! Jesus! I had waited an hour to get light that lasted about 1 minute!
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I'll bet his kids are very hungry.

Dave Karp

Kirk,

I agree that sometimes conditions prevent an easygoing approach to interested passers by. As I mentioned, weather, light conditions, etc. have an impact. Similarly, if you are on assignment you are working, and should not be spending time talking to others.

When I can't take the time to talk, I just tell people just that, and that I would be happy to talk to them when I am finished. In my experience, once you are busily working with holders, metering, cocking the shutter, making exposures, etc., most people are respectful of my efforts and leave me alone. The passer by that you describe was quite out of tune with what you must have been doing just before and during that crucial time. I guess you just can't satisfy all of the people all of the time. Normally, I have found that it is the time when you are waiting and not busily working that attracts most inquiries from interested onlookers.

I agree that photography can be a very intense, concentrated experience. I have, however, often photographed together with my wife, father, father-in-law, and friends. I find it quite enjoyable, and like am fascinated by how different our photographs are. These group sessions often result in our sharing our visions through viewfinders or groundglass prior to or after exposures. We also often share with passers by. Unless the situation prevents it, the communal experience is very enjoyable for me. I just turn the concentration on when it is needed.

wow! i am really quite relieved to see i remain in the majority of photographers on this issue. people are always interested in the large format camera, and like kirk remarked on, i am always happy to entertain their questions, as long as that doesn't mean compromising a shot.

ed... as to why he didn't try to run me off, i'm not sure. he sure should have felt more threatened by a 4x5 camera than a $200 digicam. i assume i was out there a little before him because he better knew when the light was going to be good. when i'm in an unfamiliar area, i always try to get ready extra early.

ken... nice guess! it was in fact moraine.

i have found quite often that people are intrigued by the big old camera. i get a lot of questions, most regularly, "why don't you buy a new camera?" to which i usually respond, "cause there still aint nothin' better". if i am still met with furrowed brows, i'll show them a few polaroids... that does the trick every time.

thanks all for the great replies.

Reminds me of two things: First, once in Yellowstone, I watched about two dozen photographers, all with big lenses and tripods, photographing a splendid Bull Elk in a small pasture with a meandering stream at sunset. Truely spectacular scene, even if a bit mobbed. I, fortunately, decided not to partake. As it turns out, the Elk had had enough of the nuissance, charged at the photographers, and about half of them ran out of the way leaving their equipment at the fate of the charging Elk. Some equipment went into the stream, some got flipped into the air and stomped upon, and some luckily survived. I almost wet my pants laughing (sorry, not very considerate, I know!). But the point being that I think the Elk owns that spot and image!

Secondly, a joke (slightly modified). God is talking with a few scientists about cloning, and the scientists insist that it isn't that hard to create humans. After a bit of discourse, God challenged them to "walk their talk." So, the scientists proceeded to scoop up some dirt to start their experiment, at which God responded, "Get your own dirt!" Again, the point being ownership of any of this creation is not the exclusive realm of any single person.
    The only trouble with doin' nothing is you can't tell when you get caught up

I doubt he was a "local character". I find it hard to believe a Canadian would be that rude.

Beyond that however it was should get a reality check.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.