Thread: Another noob, but this time from India

Another noob, but this time from India

Hello everyone!

I'm Ajay from India. I'm 25 and I do modeling for a living .... mathematical modeling.

Got my first digital camera early March and been shooting street photography mostly in two areas in Chennai :-
    Koyambedu, a farmer's market area : http://flickr.com/gp/93401702@N02/2mZG2F/
    and
    T-Nagar, a really crowded commercial area : http://flickr.com/gp/93401702@N02/P0gLuB/

I've recently sold off my digital equipment to move into LF mainly to learn photography. After going through phases of HDR fanaticism, fast aperture bokeh wanking, gear faggotry, sharpness peeping and taking 500 shots per second square, I realized my photographs grotesquely lacked any content and style.

I've decided to work hard on the content of my photographs to make it more meaningful and hopefully make 25-30 pictures during the course of next year. I've got a used Shen Hao that arrived today with a Fuji 90mm lens. Planning to add a 210mm to it, and I'm done.

Wish me luck guys!

Re: Another noob, but this time from India

Welcome to the forum, Ajay. Large format will definitely slow you down and make you think about your subject. You should find that you shoot less photographs but end up with better images than you did with digital. It does take practice but it is a lot of fun.

Good luck to you!

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by just_another_actuary View Post

I've decided to work hard on the content of my photographs to make it more meaningful and hopefully make 25-30 pictures during the course of next year. I've got a used Shen Hao that arrived today with a Fuji 90mm lens. Planning to add a 210mm to it, and I'm done.
    That's a good attitude and approach for any kind of photography.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Ajay. Large format will definitely slow you down and make you think about your subject. You should find that you shoot less photographs but end up with better images than you did with digital. It does take practice but it is a lot of fun.

Good luck to you!

Alan
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    That's a good attitude and approach for any kind of photography.
    Good luck!
    Thank you Alan and Ari!

I've decided to work hard on the content of my photographs to make it more meaningful
    Now there is an insight that is all too rare among photographers!

I have to say that I'm impressed with your images so far and don't think they lack style or meaning. Considering what you have photographed so far, LF might not be the best choice for you. Slower is not always better and less is not always more. But I'm sure we all agree that LF photography is worthwhile the effort and I wish you all the best with your work. Keep us posted!

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael E View Post
    Now there is an insight that is all too rare among photographers!

I have to say that I'm impressed with your images so far and don't think they lack style or meaning. Considering what you have photographed so far, LF might not be the best choice for you. Slower is not always better and less is not always more. But I'm sure we all agree that LF photography is worthwhile the effort and I wish you all the best with your work. Keep us posted!

Michael
    Thanks Michael, that's really nice of you!

loujon

Hello everyone!

I'm Ajay from India. I'm 25 and I do modeling for a living .... mathematical modeling.

Got my first digital camera early March and been shooting street photography mostly in two areas in Chennai :-
    Koyambedu, a farmer's market area : http://flickr.com/gp/93401702@N02/2mZG2F/
    and
    T-Nagar, a really crowded commercial area : http://flickr.com/gp/93401702@N02/P0gLuB/

I've recently sold off my digital equipment to move into LF mainly to learn photography. After going through phases of HDR fanaticism, fast aperture bokeh wanking, gear faggotry, sharpness peeping and taking 500 shots per second square, I realized my photographs grotesquely lacked any content and style.

Wish me luck guys!
    Wow Ajay, Great attitude my friend. I predict You'll do very well.

BTW- Welcome to club and I look forward to seeing your 30-40 images in the coming year.

Peace
    Louis

To me, the great advantage of large format is the slowness and the all manual adjustments required ... it makes you stop and think ... it makes you learn how each variation affects a picture ... it takes anslysis and time to take each shot so you often only have one or two shots available to you so you must figure out what angle/exposure/lens/depth of field is the best for each shot.

Then ... when you have gone through that process a few thousand times ... you will be ready to pick up a digital camera again and have some idea what you are doing when you click the shutter.