Thread: 8x10 DIY options

8x10 DIY options

Hi folks

I happen to have lucked into a Cooke Series XV Triple Convertible and I'm considering keeping it. Of course, I'll need a camera to use with it so my mind has turned to building an 8x10 camera. I also have a G-Claron-WA 240mm for some wide angle work.

I'm just at the thinking stage right now, so am looking for opinions, ideas, suggestions, pitfalls to avoid etc.

I'm pretty good at woodworking and have friends who can assist with metalworking, but I'm leaning towards the simplest design. Bellows is not a problem, I can make a set as I've just made a set for my 5x7 I;m restoring and have ample material left.

Re: 8x10 DIY options

Hello Ian,

My first adventure with view cameras started when I found an 8x10 film holder in an antiques store. Within a short time I found an old Kodak No. 3a Autographic Model c camera, and from that camera I then had a lens to cover 8x10 and a shutter to add to the 8x10 film holder. After much study I came across this web site (www.piercevaubel.com/cam/index.htm). Eventually I settled on a simple camera design based on cameras similar to these . . . Eureka, and this NE camera. That web site is the perfect place to look for ideas for building cameras. I figure, Why reinvent the wheel if a simple design has already been proven? My first three DIY 8x10 cameras were based off the simple rear-focus design. The focus screen had to be removed in order to insert the film holder. The cameras worked amazingly well.

The easiest way out is to purchase a fixer up that you can sell later .I have one for sale .It needs bellows , a ground glass , 3 knobs and a corner .Your friends can make the knobs .The bellows and ground glass you can make yourself .The camera is very stable and this is the most important thing .Bellow is a link to my post :

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ona-for-repair

Thanks guys. A fixer-upper would be ideal, I'm in England so postage costs are prohibitive from outside the EU, sadly.

I already have a few lenses that would be okay for 8x10 such as 9/210 and 9/240 Staeble Ultragons and a huge G-Claron WA 11/240.

Bellows are no problem, I just made a set for my 5x7 and have lots of material left. Ground glass is no problem, I can make that myself with automotive rubbing compound. Knobs are no problem either I think, can adapt something.