Thread: Vuescan software problem with Microtek 1800f

Vuescan software problem with Microtek 1800f

I bought the Vuescan scanner software a couple of weeks ago based on the claims of owner Ed Hamrick on his Web site (that it works with my scanner, the Microtek ArtixScan 1800f) and recommendations on this Web site of other 1800f owners. I downloaded the test software and performed a half-dozen scans, and it seemed to do a good job, so I bought it. Just my luck, a half-dozen scans later, the 1800f starts knocking loudly and shuts down, never completing the scans. It did this on both small scans (less than 1 mb) and larger scans of my 4x5s. I contacted Hamrick and he told me to delete the ".ini" file, restoring the default settings. That worked fine for another half-dozen scans, then the problem recurred.

Per Hamrick's request, I e-mailed him the settings I was using when the problem occurred, but surprisingly he had no comment. Given the claims on his Web site that it works with the 1800f and his lack of interest in helping solve the problem, I asked for my money back. (He said in a later post that in order to help me I now had to go through this long and, at least for me, complicated process that would take too much space to explain here.) He declined to return my money, noting that as his Web site states, he does not give refunds. I would consider such a policy fair IF the software worked as claimed. But at least for my scanner, it does not (indeed, it sounds like something is about to break), and I am at a loss as to what to do to fix the problem. I sense I will just be writing it off as a lesson in purchasing software over the Web. Has anyone else ever encountered similar problems? Any suggestions on what I might do?

Unless you have formally burned the bridge with Mr. Hamrick, I suggest you provide him with whatever log files he requires, and give him some time to respond. He is apparently a one-man shop, and sometimes it takes a while for him to get back to you.

I had some problems with my ArtixScan 2500f, which he resolved, but not until after several attempts. Sometimes, while expanding the product to accomodate new scanners, he inadvertantly affects those which he already supports.

You might post something on comp.periphs.scanners and contact other users of the 1800f. They might tell you of an earlier verson which works. Since Mr. Hamrick releases new versions rather regularly, there is a chance that simply by noting the difference between the version which works, and the one which doesn't, the problem can be identified.

For what it's worth, my 2500f locks up after a few scans (sometimes) with VueScan, and I have to reboot my computer to start again. I would be happy to collaborate with you on this one. (I am a software engineer, so perhaps I have a little more sympathy for his perspective). Perhaps we can both get a fix now. Let me know.

Even with the inconvenience of having to reboot, I still use VueScan exclusively. It's the only solution I have found which lets me get the most from the scanner.

I down loaded the test program to use with my HP scanjet 4670 on XP platform. It never worked despite the calims in the web site. I was not about to trouble shoot, so I just uinstalled and forgot about it.....good thing this happened to me before I spent money.

Did you pay with credit card? if so contact them and have them return your money.

You might try posting your question to the Yahoo digitalblackandwhite:the print group. There are a lot of experts there, most of them scan film. You might also try comp.periphs.scanners (sorry I don't have the URL for it but you should be able to get it from Google). There's even more scanner experts there, many people there use Vuescan, and Ed Hambrick usually participates in the discussion when questions about VueScan are asked. At a minimum, publicly raising the problem in that group should get his attention.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Sorry, I didn't see Ken's message before I posted mine.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I think if you give him the chance and be patient, he will come through for you.

Now, onto other topics: You seem to associate this with "buy software through the web". I understand you feel burned, but considering many people's experiences with "over the shelf" software at much higher prices, I think your distinction that it was the web buying experience that ripped you off is an unfair representation. I bring it up only because a great deal of reputable small shops who cannot afford the distribution costs of retailers live and breath on web sales and I think the characterization is unfair.

Have you ever approached MS and demanded your money back? Or are you one of the few who feels Windows works as promised? Not that I think it is not worth the effort; I think software writers should be pressured to be held to much higher standards of quality then they currently do; again I just think you are being somewhat lopsided. Or maybe I just know too many people who make a living that way and am horribly biased...

The great majority of people who use Vuescan are very happy with Ed Hamrick and his product. As someone else mentioned, he does it all himself, and inevitably with new versions and new scanners, there are going to be glitches. Since he lets you try it out as much as you want (with a watermark), you can pretty much tell if it is going to work. If it doesn't work and you follow his instructions, he will do the best he can to solve the problem. I've had trouble getting various versions of Vuescan to work with my scanners, but in time the problems were solved. Since he is busy, after he has done everything he can think of, he may stop working on it for a while, and he may seem to have forgotten you. But eventually he seems to work it out.

I suggest you follow the suggestions others have made. Also, try the newsgroup comp.periphs.scanners to see if others have had similar problems and if they have found solutions.

Ed Hamrick seems to me to be one of a vanishing breed: an honest man who is interested in producing a solid product without any hype and who does the best he can to serve his customers.

along with the other forums noted above, try http://www.photo.net/bboard/forum?topic_id=1701 .

Let me add another word of support for Mr. Hammrick. I had the same problem as Ken Lee with a 2500. I sent the log file to Ed Hammrick, and after a couple of back and forth emails, he got it taken care of and made an updated version of vuescan. For what its worth, I think vuescan does a much better job then the software the 2500 came with.