Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounting Ilex #5 shutter to Technika lens board

Mounting Ilex #5 shutter to Technika lens board

I just bought an Ilex #5 shutter, which included a Caltar 375mm lens; co-incidentally, the shutter fits my Protar convertible, though that lens does not screw all the way down into the shutter.
    But close enough to hold the lens securely in place.

Anyway, once I saw the multi-use potential of the Ilex shutter, I had to find a way to mount it to a Technika board, since I use only those boards.
    The usual retaining ring/flange method would not have worked, since the Ilex's flange would have made for a precarious fit on the TK board.

I had my local machine shop make a threaded "flange" that was bolted to a Technika board, just making it with enough clearance to still mount the board onto either of my cameras.
    I just screw the shutter into this flange, and voila! I can change the orientation of the shutter by removing the silver flange, and turning it 90˚ or 180˚ and replacing the screws holding it.
    The silver flange also acts a spacer.
    It worked beautifully, and the photos tell the story better than do I.

I know it looks kind of unwieldy, but the lens, with both elements attached, mounts smoothly and painlessly to the camera.

Re: Mounting Ilex #5 shutter to Technika lens board

Ari, i have mounted lenses in Ilex5 on technica boards as well, not only Comm. Ektar 14" but Wide Ektar as well - it was little bit tricky (i need to grind down the linhof reduction) but it works perfectly.
    I will post photos later.

Yes, please do; I'd like to know if there is a cheaper alternative to the method I show above.
    Not that I'm complaining, because it works superbly, but it did cost $100 for the machining.

it's not a cheaper alternative, but definitely I have a cheaper mechanist :-). The Ilex5 mounting including the lens board (board is made by him as well) cost around 60$ if I remember well.

Sorry for the poor image quality, i don't have so much time.
    here you find the photos :

https://plus.google.com/photos/10625...COXg7unzr8T5EQ

with Commercial Ektar 14" in Ilex5 - mounting on Technika board,
    Wide Ektar 10" in Ilex5 - mounting on Technika board (he made also reduction for 95mm filter),
    &
    Linhof technika reduction on KMV board (made his as well), reduction has not a circle hole, but a bit oval to mount the Wide Ektar with his large rear element.

Nice, and similar to my method; looks very well done.
    Yes, I remember prices in the CR being much better than prices here; even the IKEA was cheaper!

And thanks for the warning about the 250mm Ektar's rear element; something to take into consideration, as I will have the Technika mount made next week.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Ari,

Where did you find the Ilex #5 shutter?

Thomas

Thomas,
    I posted a WTB for the Ilex, and a forum member in SF sold me his.

The Ilex #5 is a fragile beast. Both of mine are broken.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I bought a 610mm apo-Nikkor barrel mount about a month or so ago and sent it to Grimes to have mounted on a toyo board that I had available. Been toying with the idea of having it mounted in a #5 Ilex but haven't been able to locate just the shutter for sale.

Probably the sensible path is to use it as a barrel lens as I had originally intended. A tad longer or shorter on the exposure wouldn't matter much and my watch and reaction time would probably match the shutters accuracy anyway. I got the lens back from Grimes last week and haven't used it yet but yesterday a B&W night image with the 81x10 to 4x5 reducing back came to mind and I'm waiting for the right conditions: no clouds or fog.

Thomas

I believe I've read--and my own shutter corroborates this--that the big Ilex No. 5's top shutter speed of 1/50 is really closer to 1/30th. If so, a Packard shutter will get you 1/25 or thereabouts on 'instant', which realistically leaves a gap at 1/15 and 1/8 before one can reliably use a lens cap or dark slide as a shutter at 1/4 and slower. So really the Ilex isn't getting you all that much vis a vis the Packard, unless you shoot a lot in the 1/15 - 1/8 range and are inflexible in your aperture settings. In fact, my Ilex No. 5 acts more like a barrel than anything for the lens that sits in it (a Kodak 12" f/4.5 Ektar). But I shoot a lot of really slow films, too.

Jonathan