Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: any users around of longer Ernemann Ernostar lenses?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

any users around of longer Ernemann Ernostar lenses?

Hello,

I am looking for info about Ernemann Eronstar lenses that are 18cm / 180mm / 7" or longer. As I have heard there are lenses up to 25cm / 10" with ƒ-stop 2.7 and I am interested to know if anyone has used those and what are the experiences.

I have since recently 18cm version & I am totally in love with it but I would love to acquire a longer one (22cm or 25cm) for usage with my modified Graflex RB Series D 4x5 camera and would love to hear more about them. Info about these lenses on the net is unfortunately non-existent and I don't own any book or printed source dealing with them.

Looking forward to hear your experiences.

Kind regards,
    Misko

Re: any users around of longer Ernemann Ernostar lenses?

Misko, I would be curious if a large lens of that aperture would even fit the small lensboard of the Graflex. I am guessing the lens diameter will be to large...just a guess. Let us know if you find any information. I have the same camera.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

I have always assumed that the Ernostar was designed for the Erneman camera and not made in lengths that suited other (larger) cameras. The apparent absence of an on-line catalogue would also suggest this is the case.

an example of 18cm Ernostar's image:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/milosgazdic/10414764645/

I've checked later BJPA's and the same 9x12 Folding reflex cameras with focal pane shutters were sold in the UK with the 180mm Tessar and later also an f4.5 Ernostar or f3.5 Ernon Anastigmat (1927 & 8). Ernemann had been totally absorbed into Zeiss Ikon by 1931 and the names disappear.

However these adverts aren't full catalogues, there was an f1.8 Ernostar listed in the 1927 BJPA for the non reflex 9x12 plate cameras (focal plane shutter), this was a 16.5cm.

The huge problem is Ernemann only began making these newer fast lens and cameras around 1923/4 and by 1927/8 had merged into Zeiss Ikon who rationalised camera and lens production. Coverage of these lenses wouldn't be great, image circles would be much wider than useable area.

You'd need to scour German publications for details of their lenses, good luck.

Ian

I have seen 22cm lens and it seems to fit Speed's plate.

18cm fits if 100% since it's rear element is slightly more narrow than Aero Ektar.

I believe that both 22cm & 25cm lenses should cover 8x10 without any problem since 18cm covers 4x5 with place for movements...

There was a Ernemann Folding Reflex that took 9x12 or Quarter plate that came with an 18cm f4.5 Tessar there was sufficient extension to allow 1:1 copying. (1924 BJP Almanac Ernemann Advert). Folded it looks a bit like a Speed Graphic but in use it has a double bellows system so could take a 25cm lens.

I'll see what's in other BJPA's later today. I'd guess Ernemann designed/made faster Ernostar lenses for the same camera before they merged with Zeiss.

Ian

I don't know about the f2.7 Ernostars, but a few 24cm f1.8 Ernostar lenses were made for 13x18. I stupidly passed one up years ago.

Hello Ian, thanks a million for all the source checking and detailed informations.

Do you happen to have the image showing that Ernemann Folding Reflex camera of Quarter plate size? Would love to see it.

I have seen the examples of the 165mm shots on Flickr by a bulgarian photographer named "Яado". Lens seems to perform amazingly and covers more than 4x5 according to the photographer & I believe for portrait photography it is not an issue if the image circle is much wider than really useable area, isn't it right?

I wish I knew how to post Flickr shots to the threads here but here is again link to my photo showing longish shot made with 18cm model:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/milosgazdic/10203758323/

Finally - do you have any proposal regarding some publication about German lenses? I would gladly hunt it down…

And dear Jason - was the price for that 24cm f1.8 lens ok? Wish I had a chance at least to try it!!!

I meant to post the 1924 advert in my last reply and forgot it here you are:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ernrmann.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	105540

It's shown much smaller in the Zeiss Ikon adverts.

Ian