Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extreme WA lens for Whole Plate

Extreme WA lens for Whole Plate

Up to now my wide angle lenses for my whole plate camera has been my120mm f/8 Nikkor-SW, which since it covers 8x10, allows a generous amount of movement.

I was looking for an extreme wide angle lens for Whole Plate to be had for a reasonable price, and gave up a little while back. But then recently I bought a 90mm f/4.5 Nikkor-SW for my 4x5. Have always wanted a 90mm for my 4x5, and finally came across one for a very reasonable asking price from a dealer in Japan. Glass was mint. Outside of barrel had a bunch of rub marks on it... no big deal there. As with all my lenses I wanted to see what its coverage was so mounted it on my 8x10 and proceeded to the place where I always test my lenses at

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ce+test+lenses

To my amazement the 90mm Nikkor actually covered "at infinity" my final matted image size of 6"x8". So it does not completely cover a whole plate negative, but it does cover the size of my matted whole plate contact prints. Obviously with closer subject matter, it will cover the full 6.5"x8.5" whole plate format.

Would love to hear from any Whole Plate photographers out there who might be using a Schneider Super-Angulon Multicoating 90mm XL F/5.6 Lens.... Possibly it might just cover a bit more than my Nikkor and intern cover the full Whole Plate 6.5"x8.5" negative.

thanks
    Greg

Re: Extreme WA lens for Whole Plate

You have to go to a shorter FL.
    How wide do you wish to go?

For me the image from my 90mm Nikkor is the widest I want to realistically go... An Hypergon I'd love to have and use, but the purchase price of one these optics... well just hard to justify.

Greg

Here's what Fuji has to offer:

For 6.5x8.5" (image circle 270mm):

-- Fujinon SW 120mm f8 -- image circle: 290mm
    -- Fujinon SW S 120mm f8 -- image circle: 290mm

For 6x8" (image circle 254mm):

-- Fujinon SW 105mm f8 -- image circle: 250mm
    -- Fujinon NSW 105mm f8 -- image circle: 250mm

http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/byfl.htm

Last time I mentioned that it "should cover just fine at infinity" but I didn't expressly show it - I only posted an image with a very close focus.

I went back into my archive and found a better example for you. Here is an 8x10 image shot at infinity with the 90mm XL and I have inscribed a rectangle of exactly 6.5" x 8.5." This is accomplished by knowing what DPI the scan was done at and properly sizing the rectangle in PS. As you can see, it covers the rectangle fine. Of course others may tell you the circle of "acceptable definition" is smaller than the actual thrown image.

If you get a 90mm XL make sure you get a newer one with the removable rear shroud. I assume the rear shroud shrinks the IC slightly from mechanical vignetting, but I haven't actually tested this. I always have the rear shroud off when I've put this lens on 8x10.

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Dave Karp

Confirming that my 120mm Fujinon SW covers nicely.

Amazing looking at a 90mm on WP!

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Last time I mentioned that it "should cover just fine at infinity" but I didn't expressly show it - I only posted an image with a very close focus.

I went back into my archive and found a better example for you. Here is an 8x10 image shot at infinity with the 90mm XL and I have inscribed a rectangle of exactly 6.5" x 8.5." This is accomplished by knowing what DPI the scan was done at and properly sizing the rectangle in PS. As you can see, it covers the rectangle fine. Of course others may tell you the circle of "acceptable definition" is smaller than the actual thrown image.

If you get a 90mm XL make sure you get a newer one with the removable rear shroud. I assume the rear shroud shrinks the IC slightly from mechanical vignetting, but I haven't actually tested this. I always have the rear shroud off when I've put this lens on 8x10.

Bryan that is a great image. I don't recall seeing this in the image sharing threads. Well done.

Corran's example is precisely what I expected. That's pretty darn nice illumination.

BTW, I think that image would be super nice cropped to 5x10 to take full advantage of the width (or height).

I just realized! I should have mentioned, this is with the Schneider 4B 2x center filter that I use for both my 72XL and 90XL. Fall-off will be an issue with this lens on such a wide format, as one would expect.

consummate_fritterer - regarding the crop, I have a friend who advised Clyde Butcher on some camera gear and I believe, but can not confirm, that some of his extremely wide images made on 8x10 are with the 90mm XL cropped to a panoramic-esque aspect ratio - 3:5 or so IIRC. I can't remember what AR I ended up printing that image to. I made one inkjet print for a show last year and it sold so I no longer have it.