Thread: Newbie Question :- Making a book look like a rectangle

Newbie Question :- Making a book look like a rectangle

Hi everyone,
    I've finally learned how to focus with tilt and swing!

I was experimenting changing the shape of objects using backward movements today. I put a book flat on the table and attempted to find the best shape for composition while keeping the top of the book fully in focus.

I tried the following:
    1) Vertical camera position + Fall + front tilt forward - everything was in focus, but book converged and looked terrible
    2) Vertical camera position + Fall + back tilt backward - distorted shape further and convergence was worse
    3) Pointed camera down + back tilt backward to 90* angle - looked better but lines still converged like a trapezium

In left is the shape I get, and in the right is the shape I desire :-
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shape.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	6.0 KB 
ID:	105209

How do I achieve this?

Thanks a ton.

Re: Newbie Question :- Making a book look like a rectangle

The surface of the book and the plane of the ground glass (and film) should be parallel. This may be accomplished by laying the book on the floor and shooting directly down at it with the camera mounted on a tripod. One of the many books on large format photography may be a great aid in solving problems like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    The surface of the book and the plane of the ground glass (and film) should be parallel. This may be accomplished by laying the book on the floor and shooting directly down at it with the camera mounted on a tripod. One of the many books on large format photography may be a great aid in solving problems like this.
    Ohh of course, the plane wasn't parallel! Thanks Jim.

A very general rule that usually works: (optional first step: point the rail at the subject, then,) adjust perspective first, with the back movements, then set the focus plane with the front. Go back again and make fine adjustments, and you're done.

The back goes parallel to the lines you don't want converging. When the plane of the back, the lens, and the desired plane of focus in the subject all point to the same point in space under or along side the camera off somewhere in the distance, what you want in focus will be in focus. That's literally ALL there is to all the movement stuff.

Get those points, and get them in that order, and you'll never have a problem figuring out what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
    The back goes parallel to the lines you don't want converging. When the plane of the back, the lens, and the desired plane of focus in the subject all point to the same point in space under or along side the camera off somewhere in the distance, what you want in focus will be in focus. That's literally ALL there is to all the movement stuff.
    You really simplified it. Thanks mdarnton!