Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: advantages of 6x9 view camera ?

advantages of 6x9 view camera ?

Hi. I was excited about recently ordering a 6x9 view camera, specifically the Toyo 23g. I purchased a single lens, a Rodenstock 180mm. My experience with Fuji 6x9 has been a good one. (The only drawbacks are those inherent in using a rangefinder as well as with not being able to change lenses).

As I said, I was excited, until I started reading some messages on this forum. Now I am a bit disquieted. I am beginning to wonder if going with a 4x5 would have been a better idea. At the time I ordered, it seemed natural that the 2x3, combined with a Horseman 6x9 back, would be perfect for what I wanted, the ablity to shoot in 6x9 format with a great deal of flexibility.

Have I goofed?

Signed,

ANXIOUS

Don't be anxious, you have not made a ghastly mistake. If you are not regularly printing larger than 11 x 14, you probably would not notice any appreciable difference between a 6x9 negative and a 4x5. You do have the advantage of access to the wider range of emulsions and easier film loading/unloading/processing. Congrats on your purchase and happy shooting. Regards,

Hi Percy, Whilst this forum has contributed more to my LF knowledge than every other book I own, there is a down side to my daily addiction of reading through the threads past and present.........everyone owns a bigger, better, sharper and more desirable piece of camera equipment than I do and I should sell all my gear and move up to whatever object of desire has just been discussed. Stick with the reasons for choosing your 6x9, spend 3 months shooting and printing and then decide if you've goofed. I imagine the answer will be no.

Have fun Dave.

I'll chime in here and agree with Dave and Moe, USE the camera for a while and see if it fits your needs. I love the 6X9 format, and 180 is a nice focal length (I use a modified 180mm f/4.5 Mamiya-Sekor TLR lens on my 6X9).

Percy: you have not goofed! I, for one, use more 6x9 than 4x5 on my 4x5 camera. Even in B&W, which I do more of than colour. There is great flexibility to such a system, and focal lengths are shorter, meaning shorter exposure durations and greater depth of field. You can allow for a greater margin of error. For example, you may shoot 3 bracketed exposures at the beginning and end of a roll, cut the roll in half, develop one half, test print, and adjust the development for the other half if necessary. One of the dealers in my area says that architectural photographers are using more 6x9 than 4x5 these days, partly because the emulsions are now so good, and also because it's just more convenient to use roll-film. Have fun!

Percy,

How unfortunate for you. It is a classic error! Send me your 6x9 equipment immediately and then go out and buy the most expensive 16 x 20 outfit you can find. There really is nothing like a 16" x 20" contact print for sharpness, tonal scale and clarity. Once you have lifted weights for a year or so, you won't notice the load of a 100 pound backpack. Don't worry about the cost of huge sheet film, as 16 x 20 is 43 times bigger than that dinky 6 x 9. You can leard to hand hold a 16 x 20 easily, work out more often. Because you will be spending all of your time at the gym and working to buy film and equipment, you won't have to worry about taking pictures at all. Just ignore those "feel good" posts by the others. Obviously, they are biased and uninformed.

Although I now shoot 8x10 exclusively, I started with the 2x3 format a few years ago and have no regrets about my decision. In fact, I likewise own a Toyo 23G -- out of curiousity, what's the serial number on yours? I'll bet it's less than 100, as Toyo didn't make very many of these cameras -- and I have no regrets about that decision, either (although accessories for it can be difficult to find these days).

One nice thing about the Toyo monorails is that their parts are interchangeable: Add a 45G rear standard (they turn up on eBay several times each year) and adapt a bellows from the CX to fit (you just need to swap over the front frame and punch new holes in the bellows material with an awl so the screws can pass through it) and you can shoot 4x5 without having to buy a whole new camera.

That said, I do urge you to find yourself a Toyo rollfilm back ... although larger than the Horseman, I found they work better as they hold the film flatter and are designed to compensate for Toyo's slightly non-standard groundglass setup. These also turn up on eBay several times each year.

I've used a Horseman Technical Camera, which is designed for 6 x 7 and 6 x 9 format, for years. If you can make do with the smaller screen, it has some advantages. The obvious one is that you can use roll film and one of the many very good medium format enlargers. Another is that at the same f-stop and same size final print, you get more depth of field, which means you can usually use faster speeds. The obvious disadvantage, except for the size of the screen, is that you can't enlarge as much. Also, 6 x 9 view cameras and lenses ususally cost significantly more than equivalent 4 x 5 cameras and lenses. Since you already have the camera, that is presumably less of an issue. Also, you will probably save any difference in the long run in the cost of film.

As others have suggested, now that you have it, go take pictures and don't worry about whether or not you made a mistake.

I'm surprised you settled on a 180 mm lens. The standard lenses for that format are in the range 90-105 mm. 180 mm is quite long.

I'm surprised you settled on a 180 mm lens. The standard lenses for that format are in the range 90-105 mm. 180 mm is quite long."

180mm is the perfect focal length (for me) for 6X9.

I should clarify... perfect "portrait focal length" for 6X9...

Oops!