Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: Special order Eastman Double-X in 4x5 sheets.

Re: Special order Eastman Double-X in 4x5 sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    There is a big difference between cutting a pre-existing film, and coating an old emulsion. In this case, Kodak determined that there would be too much waste in their current cutting process for fulfilling the LF order. Yes, someone at Kodak could have done the math beforehand and determined that the minimum order would be X feet of film from the master roll. (I don't know if Eastman-Kodak or Kodak-Alaris is the one who cuts the rolls.) However, we do know that they will do it for $75,000.

Coating an emulsion is not done lightly. Has the emulsion been previously coated on their current machines? Does anybody remember how to make the emulsion? Kodak has previously been in the position where one of the key people was out on vacation, and a new emulsion couldn't be mixed until he got back.

As for interest, take a look at the number of responders to this order, and the number of people who have pledged support to the New55 Kickstarter project. Not many! Surely not enough for Kodak to coat a master roll. Remember, that's over a mile of film, and the process might have to be redeveloped. If $75,000 is too much, how can Kodak expect to find support for $1 million or more it will ask to cover the process? I haven't heard of any millionaires or Saudi princes having an LF hobby.

The Ilford custom order is just for cutting, not coating. Nobody has ponied up the money to get the R&D done for SFX on sheet film, and I doubt it will ever be done.

The solution has to work for both the manufacturer and the consumer. If it doesn't work for the manufacturer, it definitely won't be done.
    The Keith told me that there was more response and more pre-orders to this and FASTER than any other order he's ever had before... It's just that once the price became 3 times what it would be for others, that the interest slowed.

Quote Originally Posted by csxcnj View Post
    I might be remembering it wrong, but I believe this was to cut sheets from an ALREADY coated master roll. Stone?
    Yes, the rolls existed, they just needed to be cut.

But I believe it was the "leader" and "end" that would be too long with such a short cut, it was the excess runoff after the cut amount that made it not worth it.

Stone, I confess to not really understanding the original fascination with this film but, I have chased my own share of magic stuff. Never-the-less...You and Keith did a great job on this. Good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Oh well... you could take your mind off of it by shooting film that exists... like TMY-2... or it'll be gone, too.
    Darn it Andrew! With common sense posts like that you'll stop all the blather and shut this site down! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Stone, I confess to not really understanding the original fascination with this film but, I have chased my own share of magic stuff. Never-the-less...You and Keith did a great job on this. Good work!
    Thanks, we tried. It's ok it didn't happen I'm just glad we tried.

I only like the film for models, just has a glow I can't explain.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I only like the film for models, just has a glow I can't explain.

...yeah, I understand. Have you tried Ilford SFX-200 ?

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    ...yeah, I understand. Have you tried Ilford SFX-200 ?
    Not for models, but I don't like the base on that film and if anything I'll shoot Acros100 since SFX isn't made in sheet film format....

Darn it Andrew! With common sense posts like that you'll stop all the blather and shut this site down! ;-)
    You're right! Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I think what really happened is that they gave a monetary figure as the minimum based on normal figures for cutting something like TMY-2, which probably costs roughly $100/box for some special size, and would produce X boxes, when they realized that having to cut it would cost a lot more money they never changed the total amount of money needed and so it was assumed that the box count didn't change just the price per box.

So when the order was submitted, Kodak was like "well, wait a minute, this just isn't enough boxes to cover our minimum run" and so somebody dropped the ball there and didn't realize that both figures had to change.

That's my guess anyway, it still sucks a lot, and frustrates me, but it is what it is...
    But this stuff isn't hard to figure out. I wrote a cut plan module for Fuji about ten years ago for their SAP system that figured out exactly this kind of thing for a quote. Ok, granted that was for cutting plates for the print industry rather than film. But a master roll is a master roll regardless if it's aluminum or poly.