Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Backpack for 8x10 Toyo MII

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Backpack for 8x10 Toyo MII

Well it's too late now RR - I just ordered the Lowepro from B&H. But I did input the camera dimensions into Bruce's calculator for the case and it "timed-out" probably because the dimensions were too large. I then went to the internal dimensions of the backpack which I posted above and as you can see one side is too small (i.e., 12").

The camera has arrived and actually it's not too bad. I don't think that I will have any problem carrying it on my back in the Lowepro although the latter weighs 8.4lbs by itself. The question now is whether or not I can mount in on an Gitzo G1348 on Arca Swiss z1-sp. If not then I'll have to resort to using my Manfrotto 475B which will handle the camera (it does the 810G which is heavier) but weighs a lot more than the Series 3 Gitzo. I have a pan and tilt Manfrotto head on the 475B which makes life a lot easier than the ballhead.

Camera appears in great shape and came with all three factory bellows which appear to be mint. It's packed in a custom metal hard case fitted with foam and the original Toyo box was also sent with the matching serial number. A lot of money was spent but what the hey it's all fun and it's the Christmas season after all. Santa brought me what I been wanting for a long time now.

Thomas

Thomas

Thomas, the 810M (I or II) is a fantastic 8x10; I know it will be the last one I'll ever need.
    Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Well it's too late now RR - I just ordered the Lowepro from B&H. But I did input the camera dimensions into Bruce's calculator for the case and it "timed-out" probably because the dimensions were too large. I then went to the internal dimensions of the backpack which I posted above and as you can see one side is too small (i.e., 12").

The camera has arrived and actually it's not too bad. I don't think that I will have any problem carrying it on my back in the Lowepro although the latter weighs 8.4lbs by itself. The question now is whether or not I can mount in on an Gitzo G1348 on Arca Swiss z1-sp. If not then I'll have to resort to using my Manfrotto 475B which will handle the camera (it does the 810G which is heavier) but weighs a lot more than the Series 3 Gitzo. I have a pan and tilt Manfrotto head on the 475B which makes life a lot easier than the ballhead.

Camera appears in great shape and came with all three factory bellows which appear to be mint. It's packed in a custom metal hard case fitted with foam and the original Toyo box was also sent with the matching serial number. A lot of money was spent but what the hey it's all fun and it's the Christmas season after all. Santa brought me what I been wanting for a long time now.

Thomas

Thomas
    Never mind Thomas.

In fact the 12" is only the width across the bit that fits to the suspension on your back. The sides come out much more. An email to Bruce would have clarified things for you. My camera is about the same size as yours and it all fits in very nicely, together with a large partitioned lens case and the 8x10 cascade for the film holders in the front zip up panel. I carry the tripod in my hand as I don't like to feel its momentum when clambering...

You might like to consider one of Bruce's Cascade Systems for your film holders. They offer a very well organised and convenient way to manage your holders in the field and of course they would likely enhance your set up with the Lowepro.

If your Toyo is as nicely made as Toyo film holders are you are sure to have a fine camera to work with!

RR

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    I looked at the f64 but the internal dimension of the "main compartment" Main compartment: 13 x 13 x 6.0" (33.02 x 33.02 x 15.24cm) (HxWxD) is close but not large enough for the MII.

Thomas
    Not so!

I have been using the f64 backpack with my tan 810II for eight years (Toyo has changed the color of this camera but have made no dimensional changes) and just replaced it with a brand new black F64 pack as it fits this camera perfectly. Its proportions are 13x13x6 and it is the extra large backpack. That is why you never make decisions off of certain spec sheets. I enjoy using this pack and that is why I bought a brand new one. The rain cover and the waist strap are very nice.

Well when all those packs are not in one location where you can bring your camera in and see for yourself, the published specification are all you can go with. From the internal specs, the Lowepro should work fine. I know its a heavy pack but a actually want the extra padding for this camera that pack provides. If the camera won't fit in that pack when it arrives, I'll just return it for a refund or exchange which is one reason that I ordered it from B&H. But I've been quite satisfied with Lowepro products in the past and I'm fairly certain this experience won't be any different.

I set the camera up after supper and went through opening and closing it and working the movements. Everything works, and looks, perfectly. The locks on the movements lock more solidly than any other camera I have yet owned. I'm looking forward to its first light with me this weekend when Roger and I meet-up for a trip to Pt. Reyes just north of San Francisco.

Thomas

I have the Lowepro 600, but did only use it for my shen-hao 5x7 with about 5 lenses and all other stuff needed. It fits perfectly and I love walking with it. I did not yet try with my Toyo 810 MI, but I'm quite sure it would work fine.

Stefan

Thanks Stefan and others. I'm sure that the pack will work out fine. It was the only one whose published internal dimensions were a fit for they MII. It would be crazy to order something whose published specification indicated it would fit the camera and hope that it would upon receipt.

This is a terrific camera and I'm looking forward to using it this weekend. When the pack arrives I'll post a follow-up on how it worked out.

Thomas

The pack arrived in the Bay Area from B&H last Tuesday afternoon but UPS decided to sit on it and it wasn't delivered until this morning. I hastily set-it up just before supper and here are the results:

The camera sits in the well padded "main compartment" with room to spare. You can stuff small items around the sides if the dark cloth covers the camera preventing anything from rubbing against the bellows but I would be hesitant to do so and besides there's plenty of room in other areas. In the top compartment there is a 240mm Schneider Symmar-S on the left and a 360mm Schneider Symmar-S (big lens!) on the right along with a spot meter and cleaning supplies. The 610mm Apo-Nikkor - a bigger lens than the 360 - will also fit but then one of the other lens would need to be removed to prevent over crowding and impacting on the other. A 300mm Nikkor-M folds up with the camera on the front standard. I think a good kit for day trips would be the 240, 300 and 480 Rodenstock Apo-Ronar which is a little smaller than the 240. There are plenty of pockets for storing cable releases, filters, and other items. The compendium hood fits right on the camera's base wrapped in bubble wrap to prevent it from scratching or otherwise causing damage to the camera or bellows.

The padded black case holds 5 film holders in zip lock bags and slips down into the laptop compartment as shown. A tripod can be placed in one of the tripod compartments located on each side (another tripod carrier is available in the packs center but placing it there along with the film holders puts too much weight at the packs center. A water bottle in an insulated case (I like my water cold) can be attached on the side opposite the tripod.

Here is the pack with most of the above items (sans tripod and water bottle) closed. There are multiple additional pockets for pen, paper, maps, tablet, etc.. Its heavy when loaded of course but quite manageable for a few miles of road travel and the pack carries well even though I have yet to custom adjust it which it allows for.

Happy trails,

Thomas

Thomas, glad to see your pack arrived, and that you can ditch the monster aluminum case. Looks like a nice set up.

Roger

Thanks Roger!

Thomas