Thread: Greeting Guys

Greeting Guys

Hi all,

Been looking round this forum for a time now, so thought it was time to join.

Started LF photography last year for my final major in tech, using a Cambo SC (something) and an MPP S92. This really got me into LF cameras etc, so now I am on the hunt for a 4x5 camera, preferably an MPP.

So thats me, Hi everybody.

Oh, and I like traveling!

Re: Greeting Guys

Welcome to the forum. Can we assume that you're in the UK?
    This is only my opinion (and I'll probably get slagged off for expressing it) but I think that MPP's are over rated. Lens choice is limited by the length of bellows and registration of modern film holders could be a problem on some of the earlier models. Your choice though.
    Pete.

Hi Pete.

Yes I am in the UK most of the time.

Thank you for your opinion, opinions are what I am here for!

I like the MPP mainly for their historical background. I personally think that they are going to be quite collectable in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Watkins View Post
    Lens choice is limited by the length of bellows...
    As it is with all LF cameras.....(sorry).

Welcome to the forum! If you want a good press camera, go for a Linhof IV. I used to have one 'til it was stolen, then replaced with a Tech V. Great cameras, but I prefer my Canham for movements and HUGE bellows. Have you checked out the MPP users group? http://www.mppusers.com/

Dave,
    Check out Sinars, need more bellows.....buy more bellows, need less bellows........buy bag bellows, need more length..............buy another rail. 4x5, 5x7 & 8x10 backs all available.
    Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Welcome to the forum! If you want a good press camera, go for a Linhof IV. I used to have one 'til it was stolen, then replaced with a Tech V. Great cameras, but I prefer my Canham for movements and HUGE bellows. Have you checked out the MPP users group? http://www.mppusers.com/
    I would love a Linhof camera, but alas, I am a student, which means, not much money. Ya know? But I will keep all options in mind, all depends on price.

And I will check out that site.

Cheers.

Also, Pete, how many lenses are necessary? If I can survive as a semi professional photographer with four lenses, I doubt I would need many more for my hobby camera?

Hi Traveler,
    Lenses are something that you accumulate over time. Your initial choice really depends what you are planning to photograph. If you want to do buildings / ancient monuments etc I personally feel that a 90mm is pretty essential. My four smaller lenses are 90, 150,203 (the Kodak Ektar, cheap but superb) & a G-Claron 240. I have longer focal length lenses and a couple of 135's (in barrel) but if I'm just going out to take a few pictures those are the four favoured ones. I'm sure that others will offer their advice and you need to make your own personal choices. A lot would recommend a 135 mm to start with but don't get a Tessar as their field of view is often limited.
    PM me If I can help more.
    Pete.