Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling your own (exposed) film as reward for kickstarter. Crazy idea?

Selling your own (exposed) film as reward for kickstarter. Crazy idea?

Hi,

Some time ago there was a question about whether to sell or not your own work (film). I cannot find the thread but I remember that all the answers said 'NO'.

I am currently thinking about opening a kickstarter project (actually indiegogo). Because I am confident that I won't get enough funds, I want to ask you if offering exposed film as reward would get enough interest to get funds and make the project viable.

Also, Instead of film itself as reward, I am also thinking about offering a full resolution drum scanned file of the image with a signed license to use the picture.

What do you think? Please, comment on what kind of reward would be most valuable for you (or advice for alternatives).

Thank you !

------------------------------
    (Description of the project:

Place: Taiwan
    Object: Landscapes, cities and temples.
    Date: January or February 2014
    Format: 4x5
    Film: Slide film (and in some cases Acros 100).

Why I need your help?

I have been living for two years in Taiwan. I have the LF equipment, but currently I cannot afford the travel expenses that this travel requires (accomodation and car rental). Also between january and february I will have holidays to make this project possible.
    ------------------------------

Re: Selling your own (exposed) film as reward for kickstarter. Crazy idea?

One thought ... in large format work we generally do not use the term "slide film" because that means a section of processed film that will be used in a slide projector. Instead we use the term "transparency".

Now about your offer. I think most people on this forum are not going to be interested in receiving the file of a scanned photograph along with a license to use it. I know I would not be interested, thank you very much.

I don't understand this on any level--it sounds like you want people to pay for your vacation. The project doesn't seem to have an appealing goal or even a focus. Unexposed film and digital files are odd rewards-- why not a nice finished print? Good luck finding the money for your trip.

a print would be more appropriate - size could be dependent on contribution.

in terms of generating interest, i'd suggest you be more focused on what you project is... explaining what the project will produce; why you're doing it; what is the artistic and/or social significance; why it's of value to anyone, including you! without a fuller understanding it does sound like your gonna take some vacation pictures and is unlikely to raise the money you need. i would urge you to pursue it!

jvo

Quote Originally Posted by BarryS View Post
    I don't understand this on any level--it sounds like you want people to pay for your vacation.
    That sentiment pretty much sums up my cursory feelings, at this point in time, of most crowd funded art projects.

However, that doesn't seem to stop people from going for it – some, seemingly, inexplicably, successfully. It's a new dawn in art funding and I'm still trying to comprehend and appreciate the implications of "team" art. Frankly, once used to the idea of no longer being a lone wolf independent, it seems like this subversive paradigm to the traditional gated art gallery model of success may just be the way of the future.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

I'm going to offer signed copies of my image histograms.

Hi Paulr,

Let me explain: I don't mean to send a CD signed by hand. It's related to the legal aspect.

The first option was to send the exposed transparency (the work itself) to other person. So those persons who receives the film will be the legal owner and will have all the legal rights to the picture. They can use it in any way the want (make copies, use in exhibitions/books, sell to stock companies ...). As long as they have the film, they are the owners.

The second option was that If I send a drum scanned transparency (instead of film itself). If people want to do all the things mentioned above, then I will need to write a document that allows the person that receive the transparency to use it (make copies, use it in books, etc ...).

The idea was that with the first option a give away the film (I am not the owner anymore) but I will retain a scanned version and rights to use the picture (make copies, or use it in books, magazines, or website). With the second option I will retain the film and can use it, but also I give the other person the rights (license) to use it.

Apologize. English is not my first language. (I didn't know about transparency & slide difference too).

Also, I don't want anyone to give me money for holidays. If I would wanted to do so I would have asked you money for the next tryp that QT has planned for Jan 2014 in Myanmar. I have better holiday plans but If want to take into LF the pictures that I have done in this two years in Taiwan. A missed a lot the movements that LF have, so the only time I have right now to do this is on the holidays I will have next January. That was my fault, as I was guilty for emphasizing the cost of accomodation, instead of the time I require for this and the cost of film and processing.

I personally wouldn't benefit from negatives or licensed scans of someone's work unless they were famous and dead. It's a means, but not an end product.

I'm also not of the opinion that traveling is necessary to make your best work. Make seeing/vision transcend the surface reality of where you love. Effort and time is important and is what rewards when mixed with creativity. I take most of my favorite photos within 30 minutes of my home. Jcoldslabs doesn't even leave the home or neighborhood it seems. Many famous photographers did very well being stuck in one city or general area. Vivian myer combined time/effort/creativity within walking distance. If I travel somewhere, I don't expect great photos till I've been there multiple times for the sole purpose of photography.

Decades ago in America, postal regulations prohibited sending certain images through the mail. One way of circumventing this was to send such images on exposed, but undeveloped, film. Us ancient photographers might not dissociate this practice with the legitimate offering of the OP.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ramon View Post
    I am currently thinking about opening a kickstarter project (actually indiegogo). Because I am confident that I won't get enough funds, I want to ask you if offering exposed film as reward would get enough interest to get funds and make the project viable.
    Here's my experience showing slide film to other people: they were in freaking awe of what was on the film! All of them were absolutely amazed to see what that camera could do, on any given day. What you need to do first is to have one good transparency drum scanned, and then post successive crops from that.

I shot one out the window of an office building, and blocks away you could see the stars on a flag. Yes, they were tiny dots, but they were still there!

You'll have to include a 22x loupe with each transparency, though.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans