Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Selling your own (exposed) film as reward for kickstarter. Crazy idea?

Re: Selling your own (exposed) film as reward for kickstarter. Crazy idea?

You don't ask, you don't get. That was the advice my very rich, self made employer once gave me. He was old and I am still poor.

Yes, it does seem kind of odd. When I back a photo project on Kickstarter (and I have backed several) I am expecting a book or some type of print, that could be anything from a large fine art print to a postcard. I'm not sure what I'd so with film that someone else shot.

I am curious why some of you prefer a copy rather than the original.

I currently have no enlarger for B&W. The lab that develop my transparency film has a screen SG-8060p drum scanner and prints with epson stylus 11880.

Transparency is a mean and not and end product? I don't think so, I can put it on a light frame.

With the original you can make any size you want, you can use any printer/method you want, you can use any paper or material, ...

Why would you prefer my copy than your own copy from my film? I do not think that my lab could make a copy better than any of you. Some of you even have your own drum scanner. Will my lab do the scan better than those of you who have a drum scanner? Will my lab make a B&W print better than any of you?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Decades ago in America, postal regulations prohibited sending certain images through the mail. One way of circumventing this was to send such images on exposed, but undeveloped, film. Us ancient photographers might not dissociate this practice with the legitimate offering of the OP.
    Were those images perchance nudes? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by ramon View Post
    I am curious why some of you prefer a copy rather than the original.

I currently have no enlarger for B&W. The lab that develop my transparency film has a screen SG-8060p drum scanner and prints with epson stylus 11880.

Transparency is a mean and not and end product? I don't think so, I can put it on a light frame.

With the original you can make any size you want, you can use any printer/method you want, you can use any paper or material, ...

Why would you prefer my copy than your own copy from my film? I do not think that my lab could make a copy better than any of you. Some of you even have your own drum scanner. Will my lab do the scan better than those of you who have a drum scanner? Will my lab make a B&W print better than any of you?
    I think it's sort of the perspective of what a slide is versus a print, I print you can hang on your wall, but a slide is simply a slide, you really can't hang on the wall you can expose it too late for long periods of time because eventually will fade and is really only interesting on a lightbox, but if it's not your personal work, it's really have no interest in less it's something really spectacular, I'm not saying that Taiwan isn't a spectacular looking place, but I'm talking about a real well moment, something like an image of Marilyn Monroe on a 4 x 5 Kodachrome, no that would be something of interest to someone, but not just random images of Taiwan.

I actually tried to do something like this with Kodachrome myself back into thousand 10, however I didn't make it a kick starter, which is really a foolish move on my part but I wasn't really aware of kick starter at the time. I ended up not getting very many people to back the project, and funded the whole thing myself, I think the reward of funding it myself added to the experience of really putting myself into the work, because my whole livelihood depended on it, and I went into a lot of debt to shoot all of the things that I shot, but they were worth it.

I think it's a novel idea but I doubt that many people will be interested in it. However I wish you the best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Decades ago in America, postal regulations prohibited sending certain images through the mail. One way of circumventing this was to send such images on exposed, but undeveloped, film. Us ancient photographers might not dissociate this practice with the legitimate offering of the OP.
    I am curious too to know more about this. As StoneNYC, at first I though about nude pics, but it is like nonsense.

Maybe military installations? or railway pictures? I heard that railway pictures are also considered as military installations. Or was related to the material the film is made? (old film had some nitrate component and was very flamable)

(What is OP?)

Quote Originally Posted by ramon View Post
    I am curious too to know more about this. As StoneNYC, at first I though about nude pics, but it is like nonsense.

Maybe military installations? or railway pictures? I heard that railway pictures are also considered as military installations. Or was related to the material the film is made? (old film had some nitrate component and was very flamable)

(What is OP?)
    You are OP (Original Poster) it can also refer to the Original Post as well.

Anyway, there was a time penthouse almost got shut down because it was illegal to send objectionable material by mail, so it's possible he does mean nudes, we'll have to wait and see what Jim says.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    You are OP (Original Poster) it can also refer to the Original Post as well.

Anyway, there was a time penthouse almost got shut down because it was illegal to send objectionable material by mail, so it's possible he does mean nudes, we'll have to wait and see what Jim says.
    It did indeed mean nudes. Rather than provide film shot with live models, at least some were photocopy negatives.