Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP Stillwell Hall

RIP Stillwell Hall

I would love to see any photos that you may have taken of Fort Ord and surrounding areas. I have been back there a few times in the past few years but havent made it back in over a year. I was stationed there from 1988-1994 with relocation to Ft. Lewis Washington. I run a site with photos, kept them in low quality format, of Fort Ord, my time in the army and Monterey Bay. army.pixelmass.com

Re: RIP Stillwell Hall

I was a soldier at Fort Ord in 1970. Fell in love with the area. I revisited in June 2008 and some areas are closed off, but most of the area is open. In fact, I was able to enter the old barracks I lived in during my basic training. It was creepy as could be, reeked off urine and I suspect (and have heard) that homeless people and or winos live in these old ruins.

It was very sad for me to return to this area and see that Stillwell Hall was gone. I called the main campus and they advised it was partially destroyed due to beach errosion and they tore down the remainder. I had a couple of beers there 39 years ago and knowing it was all gone, felt almost like losing a good friend.

Sterling
    N22Tango on Flickr
    Last edited by Kirk Gittings; 25-Feb-2009 at 22:09.

John:

I tried to access your website (ARMY.PIXELMASS.COM) but I was restricted by the WEB OF TRUST authority. It suggested the website reeked with dangers.

Seems like you can just go in there and do some photography. Can't be any more dangerous than wandering around Newark or Trenton NJ. Any homeless people would be friendlier than the constabulary.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Quote Originally Posted by N22Tango View Post
    I was a soldier at Fort Ord in 1970. Fell in love with the area. I revisited in June 2008 and some areas are closed off, but most of the area is open. In fact, I was able to enter the old barracks I lived in during my basic training. It was creepy as could be, reeked off urine and I suspect (and have heard) that homeless people and or winos live in these old ruins.

It was very sad for me to return to this area and see that Stillwell Hall was gone. I called the main campus and they advised it was partially destroyed due to beach errosion and they tore down the remainder. I had a couple of beers there 39 years ago and knowing it was all gone, felt almost like losing a good friend.

Sterling
    www.HighAboveTexas.com
    N22Tango on Flickr
    I took my infantry training at Ft. Ord in 1963-64. Like yourself, I revisited in 2006 and entered the old barracks on the hill. What a contrast to the spit and polish etched in my memory. I was in the wooden barracks at reception center the day that Kennedy was assassinated.

However, I was much more fortunate than many of my buddies who graduated from training in early 1964; the Army utilized my civilian skills, and I ended up as an 841.10 photographer (some of it large format).

There are a couple of images on my website from my 2006 visit, abstractions of decay and neglect.

I found your story interesting. Thanks for sharing.

mergross.com