Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Stillwell Hall

RIP Stillwell Hall

Just got back from the annual family trip to the Beach (to remind us of what the ocean sounds like and what cosmically challenged people with suntans look like)and passed through Ft. Ord/Cal State University Monkey Brains/whatever the heck its called now and noticed Stillwell Hall---I think thats what they called it---finally either was torn down or slid into the sea as it has been threatening to do for some time. Those of you who have driven up or down Hwy 1 through Seaside, N. of Montery probably remember it as being a beautiful building on the dunes over looking the Bay(mBay, not eBay) Its always been in on the back burner to weasel my way into closed down Ft. Ord and photograph the place. Now that that can't happen I was wondering if anyone else had had the opportunity to record it for posterity on sheet film? There are a number of old historic buildings left (in a delightful state of decay) you can see from Hwy 1 that would make interesting photographs at Ft. Ord. My attempts to get permission from the powers that be has so far been to naught. Has anyone else here had better luck getting aboard?

Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

RIP Stillwell Hall

Is all of Fort Ord inaccessabile now for security reasons? I was there a couple months before 911 but with someone who didn't like that type of photography so I felt uncomfortable spending much time. However, there were no problems just driving onto the base and going anywhere you wanted to go in the abandoned area (i.e most of the base), at least no one said anything to us. I always thought I'd go back on my own when next in that area. It looked like the kind of place you could spend months exploring and photographing.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

RIP Stillwell Hall

Brian,

The old Base is restricted, to my understanding, for health and safety reasons---vandalism, lead paint, asbestos, structural unsoundness etc... The cool buildings are still owned by the DoD but the whole enchilada except for tenants like CSU Monkey Brains ...errr Montery Bay is under the control of the Ft. Ord Land Use Authority. Its been a few months since I last sought permission, maybe I'll try again as soon as I can get comfortable with my new class schedule. I so I'll post the details for anyone else whose interested in shooting there.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

RIP Stillwell Hall

Hi John,

I did a different kind of shooting there in 1964 but would love to return with a view camera. Please keep us posted if you have any luck in gaining access.

Regards,

multiplex

RIP Stillwell Hall

hi john

you might want to talk to someone involved with "planning and historic preservation" at the land use authority. you might offer to give them some photographs and suggest that you are doing a psuedo-habs documentation or existing conditions photographs. often times the planning / preservation arm of land use authorities need to do that type of photography every few years ... they might usually do / need 35mm type work, but at the same time they might jump at the idea that someone is taking record photographs and giving them a few prints for the 5-finger discount

john

RIP Stillwell Hall

Ran past the old place many times on the Friday 7th ID runs. Also, our company had a party there. I think some of the interior was saved.

RIP Stillwell Hall

You can go anywhere you want on the base it is open to the public. The buildings themselves say you can't go in them because they are owned by the government ect.. however being a CSU Monterey Bay student I have gone in and around nearly all of the buildings and never been in any kind of trouble. There are plenty of pictures of Stillwell Hall as well.

RIP Stillwell Hall

I have been taking digital photographs of Fort Ord since 2000. Currently have close to 2500 images.

The best treasures are the murals and soldier artwork in some of the buildings. I did have to get permission, additional insurance documents, and permissions from many agency's for access. The police from the local jurisdictions could arrest, or give you tresspassing tickets if you don't have valid permission.

Was not able to get Stilwell Hall prior to its' destruction, feel bad about that.

RIP Stillwell Hall

How does a person get permission? I myself have been charged with trespassing and treated like a criminal when my car broke down passing through fort ord.12-28-04

RIP Stillwell Hall

Hi Shawna,

To get permission your best starting point is to contact the Fort Ord Reuse Authority. They have a web site for contact information. You will need a good reason for them to authorize you access, for example historical research for academic publishing, or a college course work project. They usually do not give permission if a individual wants to just take pictures for recreational, or hobby.