Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photo supplies in Mexico???

Photo supplies in Mexico???

My wife and I are considering retiring in Merida Mexico. Are there any photo suppliers that carry photographic film and particularly LF from 4x5 to 8x10 and photo paper such as Ilford WT DW? My guess is most supplies will have to be ordered from Calumet or B&H in the US.

Another question to residents, any issues with bringing or owning cameras, darkroom equipment etc. in Mexico. I have to do some thorough research due to continuing producing work for my art gallery sales.

Much thanks!

Re: Photo supplies in Mexico???

I'd check around some of the ex-pat forums. they get pretty specific and seem very helpful. I'd be surprised if they didn't go to the stores themselves and report back.

Hello Don,

I live in Hermosillo, Sonora state. Here is my experience with your issues:

I have had film & paper shipped from USA about 3 times, and only once I had a small box of 5x7 paper opened by customs and fogged. I now buy paper and film in Tucson AZ, but these small shops never stock 16x20 paper and usually have only just a couple of 4x5 film boxes available.

I am considering ordering from a well regarded store in Mexico city "Foto Regis" (they have a lousy flashy site at fotoregis.com) and in their site they list a store in Yucatan, you may want to contact them.

The issue of importing photographic equipment is not a big deal when shipping, when I bought my camera off ebay (adorama), the carrier (UPS) handled all the paperwork and taxes, and I only had to pay back the taxes to UPS when they delivered at my door. Pretty simple actually.

Last year I bought a beseler 45 and related equipment in Arizona. Went to pick it up and imported it on the way back. There are small custom broker agents at the entry points in Mexico, but paperwork is slow and do not handle much stuff, they had to consult if I could import such equipment and was cleared, but if not, I would had to go back to Arizona with everything and get it managed by a customs broker (it would have been a real PITA).

Regarding the darkroom, you are in total freedom. No permit, no nothing. There are so few that is not an issue. I do not think Yucatan is any different.

If you need more info, let me know.
    Héctor Navarro Agraz

There were pretty detailed posts from Jorge Gasteaorzo about how customs likes to open just about everything from paper to exposed film, which makes shipping these things impractical. If you do a search under my name, you may find a thread in which I asked about shipping film from Mexico to the US, and he responded.

The Customs rule is; one camera, related photographic accessories and twelve rolls per person allowed without a permit or taxes. It is possible to bring in multiple cameras and darkroom equipment on a pedimento. It is a permit that must be executed on entry and canceled upon departure. Equipment that does not exit upon cancelation is taxed (nationalized.) It might need to be renewed with your visa each year. I'm not sure.

I definitely would NOT have paper, sheet film or even 120 shipped from abroad. The customs people will very likely fog your stuff.

It's nowhere near Merida, but there is a distributor in north México called Direchisa. I have walked in on multiple occasions and bought fresh 4x5 and 5x7 Tri-X and whatever darkroom chemistry I need. Not many places like that anymore in ANY part of the world...

They may be willing to ship to you, or direct you to the distributor for your area. They supply Kodak and Fuji products, but had no 8x10 the last time I asked.

Another possibility I found online is Laboratorios Julio, although I have no experience with them. Their site says they have film, paper and chemicals.

And there's always Kodak. They should be able to point you in the right direction for at least some of your needs.

I was not aware of this Customs rule and always take two or three cameras with me when I travel to Mexico by air, and dozens of rolls of film (or a couple of hundred sheets of film). Fact is I have never had any of my equipment inspected either entering or leaving Mexico, except by the TSA equivalents who inspect baggage. Since the permit for multiple cameras is executed on entry I am assuming that is what I would have to do if someone did inspect my baggage and note the multiple cameras and excess of film.

Perhaps inspections might be more thorough if one enters or exits the country by the land route.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pandino View Post
    The Customs rule is; one camera, related photographic accessories and twelve rolls per person allowed without a permit or taxes. It is possible to bring in multiple cameras and darkroom equipment on a pedimento. It is a permit that must be executed on entry and canceled upon departure. Equipment that does not exit upon cancelation is taxed (nationalized.) It might need to be renewed with your visa each year. I'm not sure.

I lived in Guadalajara on an extended Sabbatical. I found it easy (and cheap) to obtain 4x5 and 5x7 TriX 320 from Laboratorios Julio. I never managed to find 8x10 film of any sort locally, and the camera stores I dealt with were not willing to try to special order it. I had friends hand carry me boxes when ever I needed. I never bought paper, but Ilford seemed plentiful.

Regarding bringing in equipment: if you get an FM3 visa--a nonworking one year visa--you can also get a menaje de casa, basically a list of goods which you will be temporarily importing. I brought a van full of household, photo equipment, and painting supplies, and no one ever blinked. Just let the drug-dogs to their sniff, and you are on your way.

Also, for what ever it is worth, Mexican customs never paid any attention to my view cameras, they are far more interested in digital cameras and computers.

Sandy,
    It is no different by land. I was merely stating the official ruling. In practice, they are usually pretty lax about the cameras and film.

I don't declare my equipment, but usually have a note written in spanish about light sensitivity and opening only in total darkness taped around my sheet film. I do this just in case they get curious and want to peek inside.

Sandy,

I have never been hassled either carrying the stuff in person, whether by land or air. It's just that customs and the shipping companies are sticklers about what gets shipped in and out. Too bad they can't use that meticulousness to find all the drugs...

Thanks everyone. I've been investigating the issues of the move but have found little to no information on film / photo supply availability other than your very helpful information. This takes dome of the fear out of any issues getting supplies. As far as importing my cameras I would'nt imagine the duties if levied would be that high although I could be wrong. MY wife is a painter and now I need to locate painting supplies. I suspect oil paint and supplies would be very easy to locate.

Thanks for your help!