Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Fake 1850s Voigtlander lens

Re: Fake 1850s Voigtlander lens

Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    If it works, just shoot it. No need crying over this.
    No one is. This is an interesting study by lens scholars. But I wouldn't tell the owner who just bought a fake Tiffany lamp or Rolex "If it works, just use it and don't worry..." Yes, they work, but the interest here is how and why they were faked, and their recognition.

loujon

Kind of funny because it was more then likely manufactured by Darlot anyhow.

Here's the eBay link on this terrible deal. http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-DARL...item338ba6c7f7
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fake engraving Darlot 2.jpg  

Herbert Sydney was a Magic Lantern retailer in Boston. So he knew where he got his lens from - active around 1895.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Herbert Sydney was a Magic Lantern retailer in Boston. So he knew where he got his lens from - active around 1895.

Hey Steven

Maybe it's an authentic engraving (time wise) but the "Portrait Lens" is why I have/had my doubts. I'll say this though, seeing how "Portrait Lens" was a generic name for the Petzval design & "Portrait Lens" meant more to folks buying Magic Lanterns. The Petzval name may have meant little to the general public by the late 1800's.

I would imagine that Herbert Sydney could have bought them from Darlot for much less sans the factory engraving & then HS & Co. was responsible for hiring their own engraver. If so in this case the fellow was not so good.

Hi All-
    I recently acquired a Voigtlander Lens and looking for additional info on lens. I did extensive research to make sure the engraving matched up but 2 things i can't place or find on another Voigtlander I've seen out there.

Things that Match- from other blogs and help from a thread from this forum the engraving looks on point ,rack and pinion gear drive, and overall design of lens seems to match. From the serial number the 8's match a few I've seen on eBay,and script seems to be legit.

Things that look odd- F4 engraved on lens. I have never seen this on any out there (maybe added later?) Black paint? I know Heliar design are black but from Serial# this pre dates the Heliar lens (Maybe it was painted to prevent tarnish?)

Looking for any info at all.

Thanks
    Michael

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 11.26.42 AM copy.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	175203Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 11.27.14 AM copy.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	175204
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 11.26.35 AM.jpg  

loujon

It has been painted at one point in it's life and the F4 certainly could have been added. It's not a Fake Voigtlander though. The other engraving looks original.

Thanks! Yes, my thought exactly i don't have it in my hands yet but seems to have a brass patina under the black paint. fingers crossed it will make an image on the 8x10
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Pacilla View Post
    It has been painted at one point in it's life and the F4 certainly could have been added. It's not a Fake Voigtlander though. The other engraving looks original.

Certainly genuine!

All these early Petzvals are without any information ex-makers and if a portrait studio had a whole battery of Petzvals with different speeds, then it would be logical to add data to insure against wrong exposure times from studio staff!

Thanks Steven, yes that would make sense! i'm excited to put it back to work!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Certainly genuine!

All these early Petzvals are without any information ex-makers and if a portrait studio had a whole battery of Petzvals with different speeds, then it would be logical to add data to insure against wrong exposure times from studio staff!

Black suddenly became the mode finish and perhaps the Studio didn't want to look old fashioned so did a quick make-over of it's 30 year old lenses. You mention Heliars, but some of the early ones were brass with a clear lacquer finish. Later Heliars are black to cover a rather dull (and brittle!) aluminium alloy, as well as for ęsthetic reasons.