Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In honor of Per Volquartz, post a photo he inspired

In honor of Per Volquartz, post a photo he inspired

-
    -

Post a photo you took with Per, because of Per, or that you think Per would have liked.

It’s been 27 months since Per Volquartz died. He had an indomitable spirit and I loved him and his workshops … I got into them late but was lucky enough to attend four of them.

I was stunned when I learned of Per’s death and I thought the best way to honor him was to go out and take some pictures … some pictures I thought said something about him.

I didn’t develop the shots I took over two years ago until last week … they just sat in an 8x10 holder for all that time. For some reason I just didn't do it.

So … here they are … the first was a retake from a 6x9 made with an ancient Kodak folder I had taken a couple of years before that I thought was appropriate … a not so subtle ascending streak of light … (one my incredibly sweet wife, who truly has impeccable artistic taste, didn't like as a 6x9 nor as an 8x10 ... but I do.)

And, the second was one I saw while leaving the bar where I had toasted Per with a Scotch on the rocks … it was on an old stern wheel boat on the Sacramento River … a lonely table at night with a lamp … it just felt right ... (and my wife likes it!)

Just two shots that made me think of him and him being gone.

But first off is a portrait of Per that I took at one of the workshops in Tonopah ... I hurried and just missed the focus on this one but have always liked it ... Per was always very thoughtful and kind but very candid when he reviewed your work ... so I asked him to put his glasses to his lips as he sometimes did when looking at photos. I was flattered that Per's son asked me for a copy and it was displayed at his funeral.

The Portrait

The Ascension

And, the Lamp

Cheers and may Per's spirit continue to influence!

Re: In honor of Per Volquartz – post a photo he inspired

Jim, a fine and thoughtful tribute to your friend and colleague. Although I never met Per, we corresponded. From those who knew him, I have learned of his passion, sharing and kindness. You went out and made photographs while thinking of Per --- that is the ultimate tribute.

Your photograph of the lamp is splendid, well composed and captured.
    Last edited by Merg Ross; 2-Nov-2013 at 09:40.

(Shrek)

I did not know Per, coming into LF just a few years too late, but thank you for inspiring me to look up his work. He seems to have been a very accomplished photographer.

Great idea for a thread. I have a portrait of him I'll have to print.

Thanks for the post Jim, what a great guy , talented and busy but all ways had time to share his knowledge and teach. Here is a few photographs taken on my first and second Tonapah workshop (not really a work shop but a great place to get together with fellow photographers ) That is Per standing behind his car, I'm using his cane to support my 4x5 Speedgrahic. The other Photograph is Ray a good friend of mine that tagged along with me. Attachment 104022Attachment 104023Attachment 104024 The middle one is at the Court House in Goldflied that Jim Galli arranged for us to use as a class Room ,( it some how inserted it self and don't know how to delete it.)

That sure is a nice pose of Per Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Micheal Clark View Post
    The middle one is at the Court House in Goldflied that Jim Galli arranged for us to use as a class Room ,( it some how inserted it self and don't know how to delete it.)
    Yup ... in the middle picture is Curt and I'm fairly confident that it's Jim Galli's back there ... and Per ... is of course ... moving. The portrait that I posted was taken that same day in that courtroom with Per seated and facing the window you can see behind Curt. Per liked the north facing exposure and he pulled up a chair, gave us some quick pointers on portrait work, and several of us took his portrait there.

Per had so much talent and so much knowledge ... but no ego ... the perfect combination for teaching. He taught you without you ever realizing you were being taught ... I know that sounds a little crazy but it was true.

Per was an excellent model, too. He was very patient with me, as this image took ages to set up and shoot. I'm going to start working on a carbon transfer print of this image as I think it will lend itself well to that process.
    Jim, you are spot on about Per having no ego. With all that talent and knowledge, he was just one of the boys.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PerProfile.jpg  

I attended a workshop of Per's in Vancouver, B.C. My first and only workshop, and I couldn't have picked a better one. In his quiet way Per imparted a lot of knowledge, and I'm very sorry he's no longer with us.

I've had few brilliant teachers in my life who inspired me to great heights I never thought possible and Per was number one. He had a way about making the human connection to you. I just don't see that unique quality very often. I think of him frequently. My first workshop / get together (The Gazebo Gang) as we later called ourselves was at the gazebo in Tonopah each morning. Jim Galli brought the delicious coffee out and we started our day. Per was there to help and explain on any and every level during my first workshop with him. We had great exchanges about the Art Center instructors who did outrageous things to students works.

Tonopah was like no place I had seen, the entire time there was magical. At the Santa Fe workshop an even larger world opened up. I could write an entire book about that experience. Along with Tonopah I met and made so many wonderful people and friends. When I took the carbon transfer / Pt - Pd workshop at his home in Pasadena it was if I had gone full circle. Just up the hill was Art Center College of Design and Glendale, where I lived as a student, was just next door. I had the first part of the workshop with Jim Fitzgerald in carbon, thanks Jim and sorry I gave you my cold. The second part was with Per. When my time to print came up Per sat down next to me and so patiently and calmly explained and guided me through the process. At the development stage when it "popped" he said in a loud voice "We nailed it!". It was like every part of the process was a celebration, even another's print.

I flew done for the funeral and Jim F. drove us over. When I walked in the first thing I saw was a large poster with photographs on it. There was one of mine I took of him in Tonopah. Then I saw Mikes next to it and all of the others. There wasn't an empty seat in the building. It was an incredible showing of people from all parts of the world who were able to come there. The image I remember most inside was of the Stetson hat placed in view. It said it all to me.

So I'm in Rochester New York right now with Jaime getting ready for a Carbon workshop at the George Eastman House in the morning. We talked about Per at dinner earlier. Everyone who knew him had a personal story to tell. I'm glad you started this thread Jim because the timing for me is perfect. As we walked around the Eastman estate this afternoon I had a lot of thoughts about all the people I know from that time I had with Per.

So here's to the buffalo burger in Goldfield and all of the wonder people I've met and homes I've been welcomed into! Oh, Jim the pictures are treasures but as an abstract expressionist directed person the "The Ascension" communicates volumes to me.

Time is a sort of river of passing events, and strong is its current; no sooner is a thing brought to sight than it is swept by and another takes its place, and this too will be swept away.

Marcus Aurelius