Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: In honor of Per Volquartz, post a photo he inspired

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: In honor of Per Volquartz, post a photo he inspired

This image Per would have loved. I never got to show him. After Matt Blais and I were done in this beautiful church we went to visit Per in the hospital and well the rest is summed up in Tori's beautiful tribute Photo. Damn Per..... you left us way to soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails East-Stairs-1907-Church-cop.jpg  

Jim,

It is a nice one.

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Decker View Post

Printed a new version of one of the portraits that Per patiently sat for the day after teaching most of what I know about view cameras. I miss him too...
    Great Portrait!
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

Here's one I have of Per. He was having a little photographer get together at his house - there were about a dozen of us there. I was so excited - I had just gotten a 360 mm Eidoscope for the 8 x 10 and brought it along to show Per. He insisted on us trying it out so we set up a little informal portrait out back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 002.jpg  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	027662-R1-23A.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	124904
    I signed up for his first Free Workshop at Mammoth Lake, flew into Reno, spent several days acclimating to the altitude (I thought), then drove to Mammoth Lake. Awoke in the middle of the night unable to breathe, drove myself to the local hospital where I was informed that I had a severe case of altitude sickness and was told to get the hell back to lower altitude before I died.
    Needless to say, I never got to meet Per and complete the workshop.
    Photo taken with Leica AF-C1, 80mm on Kodak Portia 160, near Lee Vining.
    RIP Per.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dozer View Post
    Here's one I have of Per. He was having a little photographer get together at his house - there were about a dozen of us there. I was so excited - I had just gotten a 360 mm Eidoscope for the 8 x 10 and brought it along to show Per. He insisted on us trying it out so we set up a little informal portrait out back.
    Awesome Dan. I remember that day. I taught Carbon and Per taught Platinum/Palladium.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Awesome Dan. I remember that day. I taught Carbon and Per taught Platinum/Palladium.
    I remember that weekend too ... I got thru the carbon session with you Jim and was in Per's kitchen getting ready to do the P/PL session with Per and got a call that I needed to take my wife to the doctor ... a jaw infection that took a year to recover from ... I missed the P/PL session and the later week-long session with Per that I'd scheduled for that Spring ... My wife recovered but we lost Per ... as you say ... way too soon! I still have all the P/PL stuff and haven't done a print ... I think I'll get out one of my Tonopah negatives and do that

per volquartz

Done at our first Tonopah workshop with a Pinkham & Smith Visual Quality lens, open sunlight, wind. It wasn't Per's favorite, but I think it captured him. He was a force. Even the most difficult group would become a team when Per was in the mix. A magic quality that few men have that melds people together, a sweetness.

Without Per I never felt I had enough to offer to re-visit the Tonopah workshops. He was definitely the magic. In the meantime, I've sort of moved on I guess.

has anybody seen, my old friend per, can you tell me where he's gone...i thought i saw him walkin' up over the hill...

I remember meeting Per when I worked at Samy's Camera when I was 19-2yrs old(boy how time flies!), circa 2007-2008ish. He came in very quietly, a small list in hand, and I helped him get the chemistry he wanted(he mentioned he was running a workshop at his home), along with some film. I only had a few, brief interactions with him during my 1.5yr spell working there, but I remember he was a very nice fellow.