Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I run a Howtek Drum Scanner d4000 on a modern MAC (OS X Lion)

Can I run a Howtek Drum Scanner d4000 on a modern MAC (OS X Lion)

The title pretty much says it all. I can get an ok deal (I think... he's asking $800) on this scanner with drum, however, it doesn't come with software or a computer. I'm an all mac shop and can't figure out if it's worth getting or not.

Any help would be appreciated.

Best,

M. Cherry

Re: Can I run a Howtek Drum Scanner d4000 on a modern MAC (OS X Lion)

Hi,

to my knowledge, that won't work.

There's a Silverfast version working up to Mac 10.6 if I remember correctly.

I prefer the Aztek software working with windows: http://www.aztek.com/digital_photolab.html

And there's the old, 8-bit only Aurora/Polaris stuff which I would not recommend as the scanner can sample 12 bits.

Best thing to do IMHO is to have a dedicated scan computer which you never ever update ...

Best regards,
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by mcherry View Post
    The title pretty much says it all. I can get an ok deal (I think... he's asking $800) on this scanner with drum, however, it doesn't come with software or a computer. I'm an all mac shop and can't figure out if it's worth getting or not.

Any help would be appreciated.

Best,

M. Cherry
    The last version of Silverfast for the Howtek D4000/4500 is Version 6.6. This version is compatible with MAC OS 10.3 (Panther), OS 10.4 (Tiger) and OS 10.5 (Leopard), and with Windows XP (32 bit) and Windows 2000.

If you are all MAC, and want to avoid PCs and DPL, an inexpensive solution for running the D4000/D4500 is a MAC G4 Tower (with MAC OS 10.3, 10.4 or 10.5), with an Adaptec 2906 SCSI card for the SCSI connection.

Scanning can be very time consuming so it makes sense to have a dedicated computer for this work to avoid tying up your main image processing machine.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Good advice, here. Old SCSI systems frighten me away. Been there too often.

As I recall, Howtek recommended that the scanner be the ONLY device on the computer in order for them to assure it will work properly, so the idea to use an earlier Mac is probably a best-bet. Then you have to deal with everything-old -- unless they have come up with new interfaces and software.

On my shop disc I have a manual I can put online later today if you like.

also, if you do prefer the DPL application, I'd look into where or not it runs in windows emulation on a new mac, the Ergosoft RIP runs fine this way. I have an old copy of Aurora that would probably require OS9. The bigger challenge would be the connectivity of the dongle, called ADB? Pre USB.
    Tyler

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Boley View Post
    also, if you do prefer the DPL application, I'd look into where or not it runs in windows emulation on a new mac, the Ergosoft RIP runs fine this way. I have an old copy of Aurora that would probably require OS9. The bigger challenge would be the connectivity of the dongle, called ADB? Pre USB.
    Tyler
    Actually, I think the bigger challenge would be SCSI connectivity. Emulations can run software just fine, but usually have trouble accessing hardware I/O's that were not anticipated in the design of the emulators.

And the DPL dongle is actually USB.

But first I'd check whether Aztek even sell a version for the 4000. They have transitioned away from hardware support for that model.

If they do, and the OP wants to go that direction, I think the advice given above, about just dedicating a computer to the scanner, applies even if you choose DPL. It's the path I chose with DPL and a 4500, and I run a complete MAC-based shop otherwise. A refurb Dell plus a SCSI card only set me back a couple of hundred dollars, and it runs it just fine.
    Paul Stubblebine
    serious student

Quote Originally Posted by Bodyslam View Post
    If they do, and the OP wants to go that direction, I think the advice given above, about just dedicating a computer to the scanner, applies even if you choose DPL. It's the path I chose with DPL and a 4500, and I run a complete MAC-based shop otherwise. A refurb Dell plus a SCSI card only set me back a couple of hundred dollars, and it runs it just fine.
    Yeah, an old PC or Mac with an Adaptec SCSI PCI card should not cost too much...
    And Aztek DPL is really great and upgradable to the Pro version with the custom CMS feature.

However, in case of the Mac with Silverfast route, in case necessary, there exists also an alternative to an SCSI Card for the PCI bus:
    "Ratoc FR1SX FireWire 400 (IEEE1394) to Ultra SCSI Converter"
    Allowing to use the Firewire Port of the Computer instead of an PCI card.
    But as they are not cheap and now sought-after, the dedicated old computer is perhaps even cheaper and more reliable ...

Best regards,
    Martin

Of course DPL's dongle is surely USB, I only mentioned the ASB dongle with regard to running Aurora or Polaris, a potential issue going that unlikely route.
    I run a 4500 with Silverfast on a G4, another example of a scanner dedicated computer.
    Tyler

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

I use DLP for the 4000 and 7500 and (IMHO) I would stay away from Silverfast. Their way to interface with the scanner via the SCSI kind of puts some mechanical stress into the equation. DLP is not perfect but it "handles" the scanner like a gentlemen.

Quote Originally Posted by onnect17 View Post
    I use DLP for the 4000 and 7500 and (IMHO) I would stay away from Silverfast. Their way to interface with the scanner via the SCSI kind of puts some mechanical stress into the equation. DLP is not perfect but it "handles" the scanner like a gentlemen.
    Armando,

What does this mean? What are the practical consequences of the mechanical stress?

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon