Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Super Graphic Battery Conversion?

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Super Graphic Battery Conversion?

Quote Originally Posted by dfroula View Post
    snip

The flash unit I have does not have the Synchronizer capability, just household prong sockets for shutter and two slave flashes - no shutter button, which is fine for the Super Graphic.

snip.
    That's the difference between the 3-cell and 2-cell Graflite. I use a 2-cell with the SuperGraphic and let the shutter control synch with the bulb and the 3-cell with Anniversary Graphic and let the synchronizer/solenoid synch the bulb with the shutter.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    do tell...
    Graflex flashes accept a slave sensor which will trigger the unit upon which it is attached. Slave sensors are receptive of infrared light. When the slave cell detects a signal it will fire the flash, which in turn triggers the lens shutter. So, using a source of any kind that emits IR should trigger the mechanism, and all flashbulbs emit IR.

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Graflex flashes accept a slave sensor which will trigger the unit upon which it is attached. Slave sensors are receptive of infrared light. When the slave cell detects a signal it will fire the flash, which in turn triggers the lens shutter. So, using a source of any kind that emits IR should trigger the mechanism, and all flashbulbs emit IR.

What do you think?
    Optical slave units have a capacitor or inductor in the circuit, wired in a way that that makes them sensitive to only a large and sudden increase in light level, regardless of wavelength. I have an optical slave plugged into my second 2400ws Speedotron pack. Turning the modeling lights or room lights won't trigger it. It needs to see a high intensity short impulse.

My 22.5 volt carbon-zinc batteries arrived from China today. Delivery estimate was out in July, but the four batteries arrived in just under two weeks. Not bad.

Here is a lineup of the 3 old and 4 new 412 cells with the bottom of the button justified against a line of the graph paper. The comparison cell has the plastic shrink wrap removed. Paper squares are 5mm. You can see that the height of the new batteries varies considerably cell to cell, due to variations of the bulge of the terminal caps. They are taller than the original, but would be OK in the Super Graphic due to the spring contact strip in the battery door.

The nominal voltage on all of the cells (unloaded) is 24.5.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5178.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	165271 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5180.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	165272

Don

The thickness of the batteries may be a deal breaker. The new batteries are considerably thicker than the originals (as previously reported here).

Name:	IMG_5166.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	165286

The old batteries are a nominal .629 inch thick.

Name:	IMG_5175.jpg 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	165277

The new batteries, with shrink wrap and oval sticker removed, are a nominal .689 inch thick. There is considerable "give" to the metal covering, however.

Name:	IMG_5174.jpg 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	165276

I don't believe the new batteries will fit the Super Graphic's battery compartment without some modification to the battery. I have not tried, however, as I do not wish to disturb my homebrew lithium CR2032 pack, which has been performing great with moderate use.

I was thinking that if the metal sheath was removed with pliers and the cell stack wrapped with electrical tape and the sides of the end caps were filed down some, they may fit.

Don
    Last edited by dfroula; 24-May-2017 at 10:27.

The width of the new batteries is almost identical to the old Eveready units at 1.01 - 1.02 inches:

Name:	IMG_5176.jpg 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	165279 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5177.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	165280

Don

The new battery fit fine in my Heiland 2- "D" cell flash equipped with a BC adapter. The capacitor and resistor disk seem to work fine. It popped a flashbulb nicely.

Name:	IMG_5181.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	165281