Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where to go in Europe in the Winter?

Where to go in Europe in the Winter?

Hey Everyone,

I'm thinking of taking my LF gear abroad for the first time. I have to go to London for work for about a week in the beginning of January, and I'm planning on extending my stay for about an extra 5 nights. I need some advice on where I should go. These are the things I want:

1. I like to minimize the amount of time I spend travelling, so I'd like to go somewhere where there's enough to do for 5 days. This can include day trips to other places via trains/buses.
    2. I'd rather spend more time exploring and doing active things than walking through museums.
    3. I want someplace where I can take amazing LF pictures, either of architecture or landscape.
    4. Not too expensive. I don't want to spend more than $2500 total. Also, I won't stay in hostels
    5. I've already been to Italy, but aside from that everything is open.
    6. I want somewhere that's safe and friendly for tourists. I don't want to be hassled taking LF pictures or have to worry about getting mugged (I'm going by myself).
    7. I don't want to have to rent a car.

Places I'm thinking of (suggest specific towns/areas if appropriate):

1. Scotland- close to London for work, Edinburgh and Highlands are supposed to be beautiful, might not be great weather that far north in January
    2. Switzerland (maybe some towns + Interlochen)- supposed to be beautiful in the mountains, I've heard it's expensive (especially during skiing season), supposed to be safe
    3. Prague- very cheap, city/architecture is very old
    4. Austria/Vienna- have heard it's beautiful and safe, probably also expensive
    5. Chamonix/French Alps- same as Switzerland, also I don't really ski, but I don't mind hiking
    6. Lisbon or Croatia or Slovakia- heard it's very cheap
    7. Barcelona- great architecture
    8. Norway- amazing views, but it's expensive and I might need to rent a car

Thanks for your help!

Re: Where to go in Europe in the Winter?

I wouldn't fancy trying to get around the Scottish highlands in january without a car, unless you're very careful about choosing your base. But if you want to minimise travelling time then definitely stay in the UK, or go as far onto the continent as Paris at the most. On the train from London you could go to quite a few cities which won't be a pain without a car. Edinburgh, Durham, Cambridge, or try somewhere on the coast with good rail links, like Whitby.

I'd certainly consider Spain especially in winter, perhaps along the south coast in striking distance to a few old medieval towns like Rhonda and others. I can't see doing LF photography without a rented car wherever you go. Spain can be relatively inexpensive and within your 2500 dollar budget. Consider renting an apartment or house for 5 days by checking "Home Away" web site. I do this frequently for under $100 per nite.

Nate Potter, Austin TX., Holliston MA.

I'd wait until the last moment and see what the weather forecast is like. You could go to Oxford from London, great architecture definitely worth a visit, and if the weather's reasonable the Cotswolds are wonderful very picturesque and close, would be great if there was snow.

You'll lose a day if you go outside the UK, however Barcelona would be my first choice in that event I was there late January 2 and a bit years ago.

Ian

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Just to clarify on the "minimize travel" bit, I meant that I don't like to do 1 night in London, 1 night in Paris, 1 night in Amsterdam, etc. I'd rather do 5 nights in 1 location.

middle of nowhere? the end of the world? The top of Europe...

No costs, as you'd be a guest of mine... (I teach at a ighschool (Danish (original) one) where you'll get a room - eat and drink as you wish...)

If really winter this is a rough but beautiful place....

Of other choises I'd go to Prague any day if you havn't been there... I have been there about 30 times and I am NOT finished!

Btw: from here it is VERY easy and quick to get to Norway or Sweden...

Absolutely loved Bern and Zermat. Photo of the lady in fur cotton crutches and leg in cast departing office with sign.. "Accidents Dr Sport" made the whole trip worth finding our way to Zermat.

Zermat is great for landscape, especially if you ski but $500 a day without staying in a Hostel would sure be rough. Hochsolden in Austria (not far rom Innsbruck) used to be a pretty economical ski area with great scenery but I don't know what it's like these days.
    Paris in January is cold, but it's still Paris and full of great architecture and you might find some deals on lodging, especially in Convents (if you aren't planning to paint the town and come staggering in after they've locked the doors for the night---you'll probably freeze to death sleeping on the doorway!) another location for architecture you might consider is Colmar.
    If you'll be based in London, Yorkshire and Sussex comes to mind as "targets of opportunity."
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Prague is fine in winter, Slovakia could be as well, depending on what would you like to see / do.. Feel free to PM me with any questions concerning the former Czechoslovakia..
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.