Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick release for Bogen 3021

Quick release for Bogen 3021

After a recent article in Lenswork I would like a Quick release for my Tachihara 4x5 but wich one.

It was a article about Fred Picker who suggested going outside, with your gear in the trunk of your car and setting up your camera 100 times. The idea is that each time you learn time saving steps. I had nothing to do today so I tried it. I reached about 25 times before I realized that I was spending too much time fumbling with the tripod screw on my Bogen 3021 tripod. If I had a quick realease plate I could save more time.

Does anyone use a QR system? What do you recomend?

The quick release plate is usually designed for use with a a particular tripod head so which plate you use depends on which head you use. Sometimes you'll have a choice of makers, e.g. several different places make plates for the Arca Swiss B1 heads, but once you have a tripod head the choice of quick release plate is pretty much made.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I use a Manfrotto 488RC4 ball head which has manfrotto/bogens RC4 quick release head. It has a very large surface and hold my 8x10 tachihara very nice..
    http://www.manfrotto.com/fileindexednew/module2/item/file0005630.gif

cheers

I suggest the Acratech Ballhead for two reasons:

1) I think it is the best ballhead in the business and it will support any 4x5 and most 8x10's and even some larger beasts.

2) You can order it with the Acratech plate (Arca compatible) or without a plate and use your own system.

Having said that I have used the Bogen/Manfroto system and found it very quick to use but a bit wiggly, the Horseman system whioch is superb but heavy heavy heavy and very large and the Arca system. I now have Arca type plates on all my cameras and Arca adapters on two tripods. The studio camera stand sitll uses the horseman system for the heavy monorail.

Get an Arca-Swiss style quick release system. I bought a Acra-Tech head with one and relly like it. I also picked up a couple of clamps from Kirk for my flash bracket and future monopod. This way I have a good quick release on all my cameras and supports.

Octogenarian

Hi Sam,

Simply replace your present tripod head with the newer Bogen/Manfrotto 329RC4 head. From my experience, it works like a charm with the Bogen 3021 legs. It will easily support your 4X5 Tachi. The QR plate is large and operates very smoothly. Much easier and faster than the old Bogen hex-shaped QR plates.

I use the 329CR4 head with the Bogen/Manfrotto 475 tripod legs for my 8X10 Tachi. Check with Midwest Photo Exchange (www.mpex). Jim sells the 329CR4 head for, around, $100. Extra QR plates are about $11.

Sam,

I would try the Picker exercise, but I'm afraid my neighbors would think I'm nuts, setting up the camera, knocking it back down, taking it back to the car, getting it out again, setting it back up, taking it down, etc., etc. No doubt, after 100 times of doing this, you would be an absolute master. I agree, though, that a quick release plate would be the way to go.

Ben your right, but then again my neigbhors already think I'm nuts.

I use a 3021 with the 3030 QR head, with my 4x5 Tachihara. It is entirely adequate for that camera (I use up to a 10" f/4.5 lens.)

Jim Ewins

I like the Bogen hex QR. I have adapted it by taping for a 1/4-28 set screw on one of the points, which will project into a 1/4 sleeve set in the camera bed. Absolutely never a body rotation while inserting a film holder or polaroid back. Jim