Thread: Fall leaf work in the Eastern Sierra

Fall leaf work in the Eastern Sierra

This old guy worked fall leaves in the Eastern Sierra during and after the considerable snowstorm in the Sierra on October 10 then days following. Added this feature story to my website. Given DSLR popularity, not many of us still lugging about view cameras in those areas though results can still be worth it. Includes eight 4x5 images plus 11 Canon G10 supporting pics. Text provides some insight into my photography strategies for fall leaf work that includes considerable hiking where few or no others go including token commentary on some gear issues working a view camera in that environment.

http://www.davidsenesac.com/_a-z_eva...fall_2013.html

Seven of the 4x5 images are also within the bottom 6 rows on my Gallery_B subpage below, all 21 images of which are from field work this year of 2013.

http://www.davidsenesac.com/Gallery_B/gallery_b.html

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Fall leaf work in the Eastern Sierra

That's an excellent trip report David - thanks for posting it. I've always enjoyed reading your reports and looking at your images.

Thomas

Nice!, David – even if they aren't B/W, and you appear to be attempting to "snow" us with that "fall leaf" title come on.

David, lovely photographs and report.

Are any of those taken on the slopes on the north side of the Glass Mountain range? I'm thinking particularly of the photo with the dry grass meadow in front of the aspens. It reminds me very much of a particular meadow just beyond one of the campsites below Glass Mountain proper.

Slightly unrelated, did you ever participate in Summitpost.com, or other climbing forums? Your name is very familiar.

David, the five aspen image is compositional perfection even as presented in web format. I see some really fine work in your whole portfolio. Thanks for showing.

Nate Potter, Austin TX., Chatham MA.

Drew Wiley

Yeah David.... I'd agree that there's no sense lugging an 4x5 around in those circumstances, especially when you've got the option of an 8x10 !

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter K View Post
    David, lovely photographs and report.

Are any of those taken on the slopes on the north side of the Glass Mountain range? I'm thinking particularly of the photo with the dry grass meadow in front of the aspens. It reminds me very much of a particular meadow just beyond one of the campsites below Glass Mountain proper.

Slightly unrelated, did you ever participate in Summitpost.com, or other climbing forums? Your name is very familiar.
    Not in the Glass Mountain area but I have explored many of the dirt roads in the Glass Mountain Range including the Sagehen Peak area. Some nice areas of droughty small aspen with interesting rock scapes. Fine places to car camp where one is unlikely to ever see other vehicles. Yeah I post on Summitpost and some other enthusiast boards using my real name like here. This forum is unusual in that regard as the majority of members use their real names much like on professional science - educational - industrial - technology forums.