Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting there, as in Slowly achieving your vision

Getting there, as in Slowly achieving your vision

Large format photography, or photography in general is for me a long-term journey. A series of experiments, variations and continual tinkering in hopes of getting what I see in my head to to a final print. I am often inspired technically by what I see in historical works. What really pushes my buttons is smoothness of tones and a dimensionality that looks like you can reach out and touch what you're looking at. From what I've seen I see this most often in images made using LF with film like Kodachrome which is obviously not still in production. With that in mind I have been working to find a way to achieve a similar look and feel that is reproducible and intensional. I have finally achieved something close to what I'm looking for but I need to continue to see if I can do this with different subject matter and different lighting situations.

Here is an image that is closest to what I'm working toward:

2013 Hot Rod Reunion by ScottPhoto.co, on Flickr

This was made using a Speed Graphic with the Aero Ektar stopped down to f8. This shot is on Kodak Ektar and the black and white conversion done in PS as the colours were entirely too distracting to my eye. Compositionally it is strongly average but I love the tones, smoothness and dimensionality. Scanned on an Epson V750. Toned but no sharpening or other PS trickery has been applied.

The big challenge to me is achieving a 3 dimensional quality in a 2D world. The only thing I can equate this to is the first time I achieved a three-dimensional, spacial sound from my two-channel audio system after upgrading my turntable, tube-preamp and optimizing my speaker placement while listening to "For Duke", one of the most incredibly recorded LP's of all time.

This is another "aha" moment in my journey.

Tim
    www.ScottPhoto.co

Re: Getting there – Slowly achieving your vision

Very nice, and has a miniature effect that works well.

Oops, I am not supposed to 'speak.'

Well done!

when I go to shorpy's.. and look around..I notice just how many of the pix used fill flash

and I'm sure heavy retouching on the negs...

I found that interesting

Nice source.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DrTang View Post
    when I go to shorpy's.. and look around..I notice just how many of the pix used fill flash

I found that interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Very nice, and has a miniature effect that works well.

Oops, I am not supposed to 'speak.'

Well done!
    Thanks Randy. The perspective seems to work a bit in its favor. Not sure why you can't "speak", but thanks for the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTang View Post

I found that interesting
    I do enjoy Shorpy's. But a while back there was a series of chrome images making the virtual rounds that were of factory workers using colour chrome film on 4x5 and they were beautiful. You are correct in that even in these the lighting was deliberate and fill light was used. Lighting is definitely a key. I must've gotten lucky with this image and the highlights working well to create the feel I wanted. Out of all of the images I made with this combination only this one looks as apparent as I was hoping. I'll add another that has a bit of it but not to the same extent.

2013 Hot Rod Reunion by ScottPhoto.co, on Flickr

To me its looking like it has a lot to do with contrast and directional light. More experiments to come.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

What’s “your vision”?

1. You come across an object that you find appealing and the desire to make a photograph suddenly stirs your emotions. That’s your vision.
    2. You settle on the composition – where to stand, the focal length to use, what to include/exclude, etc. That’s your vision.
    3. You decide on how to portray it – Color, B&W, soft focus, razor sharp, definition in the shadows, etc. That’s your vision.
    4. You decide on how to present it: cold tone paper, warm tone paper, Fiber, RC, toners to use or not to use, etc. That’s your vision.
    5. You decide on how big to print it and how to mat and mount it. That’s your vision.

It’s all your vision.

Thomas

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

1. You come across an object that you find emotionally appealing and the desire to make a photograph of it suddenly stirs within you. That’s your vision.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    What’s “your vision”?

1. You come across an object that you find appealing and the desire to make a photograph suddenly stirs your emotions. That’s your vision.
    2. You settle on the composition – where to stand, the focal length to use, what to include/exclude, etc. That’s your vision.
    3. You decide on how to portray it – Color, B&W, soft focus, razor sharp, definition in the shadows, etc. That’s your vision.
    4. You decide on how to present it: cold tone paper, warm tone paper, Fiber, RC, toners to use or not to use, etc. That’s your vision.
    5. You decide on how big to print it and how to mat and mount it. That’s your vision.

It’s all your vision.

Thomas
    Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    1. You come across an object that you find emotionally appealing and the desire to make a photograph of it suddenly stirs within you. That’s your vision.

Thomas
    Thomas,

I get what you're saying, but what is the point that you are trying to make? I am asking respectfully as I am indeed curious what your perspective and motivations for your comments are.

My motivation? I learn a lot form the people and posts here, both technically and creatively. As I have little aha moments and things that stir my passion for learning I like to share those moments with others who have been instrumental in my learning and inspiration process as well as those who perhaps are also searching for new ideas and techniques to achieve their own vision. Whenever I get stuck in a place technically or creatively I always start with a search here for answers as there is such a wealth of knowledge and experience available here. I hope that I can, in my own small way, contribute as well.

Perhaps I should have more aptly titled this thread "Achieving MY vision".

Tim
    www.ScottPhoto.co

Abuser of God's Sunlight

I'm not convinced that all that is "your vision."

None of it distinguishes between vision and habit, or between a personal response and an inherited one.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    I'm not convinced that all that is "your vision."

None of it distinguishes between vision and habit, or between a personal response and an inherited one.
    Well said, and I agree. There is a big difference between having a vision and getting what you want to see on paper.

I had no idea that this would become a philosophical discussion. Good stuff.