Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best tripod head for 4x5 camera?

Re: Best tripod head for 4x5 camera?

Manfrotto 405 for me, but it's not exactly portable - it's made with heavy aluminium casting and I added a Kirk / Arca / Wimberley dovetail clamp from Hejnar photo store http://www.hejnarphotostore.com/.

A 410 might have been a lighter option, but I'm very pleased with my 405. The worm drive gearing can be a little stiff and VERY occasionally start binding, but I've tried several 405's and spoken to a number of Manfrotto users and also the UK service team and it's normal for their design (on the 405 at least)

Adjustable, heavy, accurate - all fine for me at under £500

Drew Wiley

I generally use the same tripod head for my 4x5 as for my 8x10 - none at all !

I would echo the comments on the Manfrotto 410 head. I have it paired with a older Gitzo Studex aluminum tripod and the set up is really stable and very precise. I use it a lot on short trips, however, it's heavy and not something I would want to take hiking or carry more than a few hundred yards. This last year, I decided to invest in a light weight alternative and did all the same homework you are doing now. The head I settled on was the Acratech GP, which weighs one pound. Although it is a ball head, it has a friction adjustment that allows for much finer adjustment than a standard ball head (although I admit it is not as precise as the 410). They run about $400. Gitzo also had a promotion last summer and I was able to pick up a GT2542L tripod for about $500. This a full length eye level carbon fiber unit that weighs in at just three pounds. The combination is a very nice setup more than adequate for a Chamonix (which is also what I use). Granted, the total investment is more that you wish to spend, but I've carried it on my back over ten miles and I suspect it will last me a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaitz View Post
    Gitzo g1270 always worked really well for me .
    I also use the g1270, magnesium, with the quick release plate. It works for me, but after a long period of non-use (as of now because of a back injury) it takes a me while to to grab the handles when I'm under the hood. Doesn't matter, though, I don't expect to work fast.

SF Bay Area 94303

Leitz Tiltall, mine has lasted 40 years for all 4X5. Majestic for 8X10 along with a mule.

I used the 410 for a while but ended up selling it and going headless. Just line the lens up with the front leg, it makes it very easy to adjust the up down tilt without tilting the camera side to side.

one more vote for FLM ball head with Tilt Lock. the way its build, feel of it, everything screams: quality! tilt lock is a key feature and makes this head rely good LF camera option.

I prefer the 410 for 4x5 field camera use.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I did a lot of testing of tripods a number of years ago and found that 95% of all movement from wind occurs not within the tripod legs, but rather around the axis of the tripod head itself. This was very surprising to me. As a result, I bought a Manfrotto tripod head that is no longer made any more, but has lots of steel in it and comes with a very large quick release plate that attaches to the bottom of the camera.

I also decided not to purchase a carbon tripod because for the money you do not get that much. Instead I bought a basic Manfrotto aluminum tripod. The head is a lot heavier than the tripod, but if that is what is needed then that is what you buy regardless of the weight. If you go light, and it cannot hold up to wind then you will be wasting film and time because your negs will be soft and blurred.

Make sure whatever head you buy, it is rigid and can hold up to wind vibrations.

One thing to consider is the Manfrotto 410's load capacity is only 11 pounds. So with larger cameras and heavier lenses it might be pushing it. I use it for 4x5 but I am looking for something more sturdy for longer lenses. The trade off is a heavier head and it might need a different legs too...