Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best tripod head for 4x5 camera?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Imagowan

Best tripod head for 4x5 camera?

Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a tripod head. I currently have a ball head from manfrotto and find it to not be precise- you move it forward and it slightly moves to the side, etc. I shoot with the Chamonix f1 and tend to photograph out on location. While I am interested in saving money, if there is an excellent head worth the price I am willing to invest. I look forward to your recomendations! Thank you!

Imagowan

Re: Best tripod head for 4x5 camera?

Also any recomendation for tripod legs would also be greatly appreciated. I forgot to mention in my earlier post that having light weight gear is very important to me. I am looking for both light weight legs and heads. I have been told to go with a gitzo. I don't drive so generally am stuck carrying my gear on the train. Again I would like to not spend to much but, understand I might need to. Combined I don't want to spend more than $650.00 (or around that range).

I like the Manfrotto 3275 410 head.
    Last edited by Ken Lee; 16-Apr-2018 at 06:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    I like the Manfrotto 3275 410 head.
    Seconded. It's brilliant and precise.

Believe it or not I use the pistol grip Manfrotto Joystick head 222 for everything up to and including 4x5. It is simplicity itself in use. Squeeze the hand grip and trigger, position the camera as required, let go of the trigger and hey presto all ready to expose...

RR

The very best tripod head for 4x5 is undoubtedly the Linhof #3663, which is available for just over $1000. If you want built-in quick release it's only a few hundred more.
    Gasp!
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I'm a Ries guy but I think the geared Manfrotto 410 is what you are looking for.

Normally, I recommend buying used but from what I have seen the 410's seem to hold their value quite well so you may be better off buying new. Of course check KEH and Ebay just in case there is a deal.

I would look for a used tripod. Carbon fiber are the lightest but expensive. If you can't afford carbon fiber take a look at a Gitzo aluminum.

I'm very happy with my Vanguard SBH-300 (max. load 32kg.). And with a pricetag of a little over €100,- it's also affordable.
    I use it in combination with a Benro tri-pod ( don't have the model, since I'm at work ). But it's one of there travel models. And for me, this is a good combo. It's sturdy enough to hold my Cambo 4x5 or 8x10. And still light enough to carry around.

Another 410 user here.

____

Although,
    I too really like the Manfrotto (400, 405 & 410) Geared Heads and line of products 'In general'... I would also give a 'Very Serious' look at one of the FLM Ball Heads.

*They are definitely German 'World Class' Quality and their unique 'Tilt Lock' feature... Allows the user to have 2D-only movements at any set angle on the ball head.

Our own LF Forum Member 'Ari', is an outstanding guy to deal with... And he of course is also the North American Distributor for FLM GmbH.
    --
    Depending on where you are located... I believe that both Adorama and B&H are also Stocking Dealers...
    --
    If you have not seen it... You might also want to take a look at the following recent thread on this very topic (Tripod Heads):

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ht=tripod+head

Regards,

-Tim.

________
    Last edited by Taija71A; 25-Oct-2013 at 19:13.