Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backpacks Thread?

Backpacks Thread?

I haven't seen a thread dedicated to backpacks or cases. Maybe there is one out there, not sure but I figured I'd post mine and maybe others will post theirs along in this thread.

I am trying to carry my 4x5 as much as possible. The idea is that one should always have their camera on them.

I had been using a naneupro u220 for a couple of years with digital/35mm/MF but the weight with a 4x5 is intolerable. It comes with a dedicated laptop sleeve and ample room but its a beast.

A couple pics from an unrelated webiste:
    http://gavingear.com/2010/05/19/nane...hoto-backpack/

The weight of this thing unloaded is 7.15lbs

Today I went to my local MilSurp and found this:
    http://www.rothco.com/product-detail...transport-pack

It's a lightweight bag at only 2.9lbs!!! Not only that but the compartments feature a water repellent lining. It's comfortable and has plenty space for my camera, holders, and should hold at least 2 more lenses. I have 6 film holders in it right now. An incident and a spot meter. A Crown Graphic with a fujinon 125 which fits folded up. A couple cable releases and a couple odds and end.
    Best part is it has straps underneath which are very suitable for carrying my tripod (Benbo). It also has a compartment for a hydration pack.

The whole thing is MOLLE compatible so you can add pouches if you need. It's built very well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20150323_234441_1.jpg   IMG_20150323_234421.jpg   IMG_20150323_234356.jpg   IMG_20150323_234317.jpg  

Re: Backpacks Thread?

And it does not yell EXPENSIVE CAMERA GEAR INSIDE! either...more of a geeky-into-straps sort of look. If padding is an issue, some closed cell foam (like the backpacking sleeping pads of old) has worked well for me with gear like this -- especially protecting the holders (dark slides). I like putting a couple inches of open cell foam on the very bottom so that setting the pack down does not jar the equipment. But that is for an 8x10 -- an inch would probably do for 4x5. That extra padding just makes handling the pack easier on the mind.

I use to carry my Gowland PocketView on my bicycle commuting to work...but I kept being late. I was in charge of the university darkroom, so I was usually cut a lot of slack...but why push it?

A recent thread on packs;

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ight=backpacks
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Ah! I'm the worst at finding relevant threads.

Well at least there are pictures of this bag here. The straps help compress everything down when not fully loaded which prevents things from rattling around and bumping into eachother, you can really cinch this sucker down. Thanks for the advice on the foam. I have quite a bit from the Naneu pro bag I am replacing so if it becomes an issue ill stick some around the holders.

Thanks.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I wouldn't bicycle with an 8x10 but I suppose it could be done if needed. However I do bicycle with a Toyo 45CF, series 0 Gitzo, holders, etc with no problem.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    I wouldn't bicycle with an 8x10 but I suppose it could be done if needed. However I do bicycle with a Toyo 45CF, series 0 Gitzo, holders, etc with no problem. Thomas
    The PocketView was a 4x5! But I have biked once with the 8x10 (dirt trail)! The Ries tripod and head on the back rack was just plain silly. I'd have to go with a trailer 'next time'!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    The PocketView was a 4x5! But I have biked once with the 8x10 (dirt trail)! The Ries tripod and head on the back rack was just plain silly. I'd have to go with a trailer 'next time'!
    Well that makes sense. I tried bicycling with the Pentax 67 in a backpack on my back (I was afraid that the vibrations from the bike would damage the camera) and a series 3 Gitzo on the back rack. But the tripod never fit well on the rack and I didn't like the pack on my back so now only the 45CF and holders on the rear panniers and the series 0 on the rack...or a 35mm in the handlebar bag and the series 0 on the rack.

Thomas

PS: I've been thinking about the trailer.

I have a Mountainsmith Parallax. The size and suspension works well for me. Though I haven't configured it for LF.

It has an interesting feature that I like, but others might not. The back (the surface against your back while wearing it) opens to expose the equipment. The benefit is that when you set it down, it sits flat. And when you set it down on the ground, it's not the surface that's against your back that's on (as Johnny Cash said) "the mud, the blood, and the beer".

I took my bag and lashed my tripod to the bottom for a 1 mile hike today and I have to say it was very comfortable.

The benbo is the heaviest piece of kit I own but I can't afford a better tripod yet so my youth will have to pick up the slack there.

Other than that I'm very satisfied. I paid roughly $60 and they can be found online cheaper.

RD: If you like Mil-Spec photo bags, here are a few more that you may like

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...fp&fr2=piv-web
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Not bad. Very well protected/cushioned but its a sling type. I prefer to have the load on both shoulders and sternum straps. That bag is about $100 which though probably worth it is still 40% more than mine. Actually a really nice looking bag