Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Home done CLA Compur Questions

Re: Home done CLA Compur Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    Says who? My entire LF habit is financed by whatever photo-related crap I'm able to fix up and sell. No, I don't have any fancy new lenses or fancy old lenses for that matter (not the soft focus kind, anyway). No, I don't buy fresh 8x10 film at $16/sht. But I'm out there every other day making photos.
    You're not penurious, just thrifty.

Penurious:
    extremely poor; poverty-stricken.

"a penurious old tramp"

synonyms:

poor, poor as a church mouse, poverty-stricken, destitute, necessitous, impecunious, impoverished, indigent, needy, in need/want, badly off, in reduced/straitened circumstances, hard up, unable to make ends meet, penniless, without a cent (to one's name), without a sou;
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

You are so polite E... as New Englander with Scottish ancestry we always know what is really meant when someone else called us "thrifty". If we called ourselves thrifty then we really know what it meant: rationale and correct.

Actually in my case EvH has it about right. Imagine being a printer these days too old to do anything else. With the computer, inkjets, and laserjets, and the like--who needs printers? I would be better off making buggy whips and wagon wheels. And since the 2008 crash, some people never recovered anyway. It's tough. Boo-hoo for me I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    You are so polite E... as New Englander with Scottish ancestry we always know what is really meant when someone else called us "thrifty". If we called ourselves thrifty then we really know what it meant: rationale and correct.
    In my family, 'thrifty' is a compliment. Particularly coming from the McCann and Lynch branches. 'Frugal' is also regarded as a nice thing, the German and Schweitzer-Deutsch branches use that one a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by HT Finley View Post
    Actually in my case EvH has it about right. Imagine being a printer these days too old to do anything else. With the computer, inkjets, and laserjets, and the like--who needs printers? I would be better off making buggy whips and wagon wheels. And since the 2008 crash, some people never recovered anyway. It's tough. Boo-hoo for me I suppose.
    I have to think about every cent I spend, on anything. But what I do not do is whine about it incessantly.

Well I'm a born & bred, fully confirmed thrifty New England Scot, with WAY too many generations of being one under my belt. I don't have an ultrasonic cleanser either, except for a real piece of crap that won't even clean jewelry as it was andvertized to do, because I haven't found a bargain-basement deal on one yet. I clean clock movements as well as the few shutter movements I do myself the "old fashioned way" with the proper solvents and a small container and brushes. EvH is correct that ultrasonic is the best method but it isn't the only method. If you want to get into the shutter and clean with lighterfluid and your paint can lid I think it is possible sp you may want to go for it. Just don't lose any of those tiny springs. They can be difficult to keep track of and if you lose one you probably won't have an easy time replacing them.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    In my family, 'thrifty' is a compliment. Particularly coming from the McCann and Lynch branches. 'Frugal' is also regarded as a nice thing, the German and Schweitzer-Deutsch branches use that one a lot.
    Mine too... except for my wife who seems to be exactly the opposite of me regarding financial attitudes and mannerisms.

Aber naturlich!

Well I'm a born & bred, fully confirmed thrifty New England Scot, with WAY too many generations of being one under my belt. I don't have an ultrasonic cleanser either, except for a real piece of crap that won't even clean jewelry as it was andvertized to do, because I haven't found a bargain-basement deal on one yet. I clean clock movements as well as the few shutter movements I do myself the "old fashioned way" with the proper solvents and a small container and brushes. EvH is correct that ultrasonic is the best method but it isn't the only method. If you want to get into the shutter anc clean with lighterfluid and your paint can lid I think it is possible sp you may want to go for it. Just don't lose any of htose tiny springs. They can be difficult to keep track of and if you lose one you probably won't have an easy time replacing them.
    Brian, my experience is that if you have to clean something when it is fully - or even partially - assembled, the ultrasonic really is the way to go. It loosens stuff stuck where you cannot get to it with a spritz or a brush. I really dislike cleaning assemblies, but sometimes for practical and/or economic reasons it's neccesary.

The new word for today is "congenial". If I was a rich man, I would not be able to work on things as well as I do. Necessity is the mother of invention. Thanks EvH--you just talked me OUT of finding an ultrasonic machine. Just not necessary.