Thread: Why won't a 86mm filter will not screw into my Rodenstock Sironar-N?

Why won't a 86mm filter will not screw into my Rodenstock Sironar-N?

I bought an 86mm filter for my 300mm f5.6 Rodenstock Sironar-N lens but it only screws in about 1/2 of a turn then stops.

The lens threads are pristine, there are no dings, dents or bends. So what is going on?

Did Rodenstock use some sort of non-standard threading on the lens? If so how do I get filters, step rings, etc. to properly work?

Thanks.

Terry

Re: Why won't a 86mm filter will not screw into my Rodenstock Sironar-N?

Two guesses, you bought a wrong filter size or it's a chinese no name brand filter, similar story is I bought some step rings off the Bay for cheap
    and ... welll, they were cheap, a few of the step ring's were either badly threaded, or they were overzealous with the anodizing. Had the same
    issue you have, they threaded on 1 or 2 turns then stopped.
    Using those as a key ring now.

Jim, it sounds like what your problem may have been is thread pitch. I know all of the cheap step-rings are 0.75mm thread pitch, while many older filters/lenses are 0.5mm thread pitch. Also problematic is that larger lenses sometimes have 1mm thread pitch.

I use some step rings on older lenses and they only screw in about one half turn, but I just use them that way with no problems.

Terry, since you've got a larger 86mm filter, it may be 1mm, I don't know. If so, you'll probably need to make sure the filter you buy is also 1mm pitch.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Corran, it was not a thread pitch issue, it was a set of 8 step rings and I was screwing them into each other.

Lachlan 717

It can also be mixing metals.

Often, the rings are aluminium, whilst the threads are often brass. Different expansion rates caused differences in thread/groove.

I have had this happen with metal lens caps. Good design in principle; PITA in practice!!
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

86mm filter threads are either fine (M86x0.75) or coarse (M86x1.0); the latter pitch is more common, and your Sironar should have it (see catalogue).

Buy a cheap step-up ring on eBay, e.g. 86-95, and try if it screws in. And another with internal thread 86 (e.g. 77-86) and try if the filter screws in. The cheap, Chinese rings are available only with common pitches. Or use a (metric) pitch gauge.
    || Cezary Żemis <cezary.zemis@pronet.pl> | www.cezaryzemis.name
    || ph.:+420 605 560 885|ph.:+48 794 337 097