Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Formally Learning B&W Photography

Formally Learning B&W Photography

Hello,

Some of you know me, I started LF a couple of years back in fact started film/ photography recently. I have come a long way because of this forum without it I would have left it long time ago. I want to learn it properly like in a university, unfortunately here in my country film is gone and there are no courses that i can attend. I want to know if there is an online resource a course or a book that teaches you everything and that i can follow like a course. It would be better if i could learn the basics and then ask specific questions that way I believe I can improve. I want to know the science behind the art first.

I want to improve...

Regards,

Raffay

Re: Formally Learning B&W Photography

The book I am liking the most is an old one and there are plenty for sale. It has everything that was current in the 40's and the only thing that has changed is the names of films and papers. I suggest, 'Graphic Graflex Photography, The Master book for the Larger Camera', by Morgan and Lester. look for the newer ones from '44 to '54, I paid $12 for a '44. i plan to buy a '54 10th version for $20 this week. Use Abe books to buy online worldwide.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Book...%2BPhotography

Quote Originally Posted by Raffay View Post
    Hello,

Some of you know me, I started LF a couple of years back in fact started film/ photography recently. I have come a long way because of this forum without it I would have left it long time ago. I want to learn it properly like in a university, unfortunately here in my country film is gone and there are no courses that i can attend. I want to know if there is an online resource a course or a book that teaches you everything and that i can follow like a course. It would be better if i could learn the basics and then ask specific questions that way I believe I can improve. I want to know the science behind the art first.

I want to improve...

Regards,

Raffay

Thank you Randy, I will try and find it and lets see who ships to Pakistan.

I checked the website, great that it ships to Pakistan, however, before ordering I would like to see at-least the contents. Or since you have it can you briefly share what all it teaches.

Cheers

Raffay

Hi Raffay,

There are enough photography "how to" books available to fill your house and spill out into the yard.

Surprisingly, a few of them are actually worth your time and money.

I would suggest the three-volume series written by Ansel Adams, often available as a set, comprising:
    The Camera
    The Negative
    The Print

This is a very good tutorial on large-format photography, written by one of the masters of the art.
    The books are rather small, about 200 pages each, so you won't die of old age reading them. ;-)

There were many follow-on books, trying to make money by implying a connection to Adams.
    One that comes to mind is Beyond the Zone System. I don't recall the author.
    Some of these are actually of interest, but most are just self-serving revenue sources.

One such that is actually OK is Fred Picker's Zone VI Workshop. I have two copies of it.
    If you want one for free, PM me your address and I'll send one.

If you shoot black & white, I suggest Way Beyond Monochrome by Ralph Lambrecht and Chris Woodhouse.
    I have the first and second editions. There may be more. Very good book.

An excellent large-format tutorial is Leslie Stroebel's View Camera Technique, available in several editions.
    I have the fifth edition from 1986. There may be later ones, but things haven't changed much.

By far the best text about lighting is Light: Science and Magic by Fil Hunter, Steven Biver, and Paul Fuqua.
    It tells you everything you could ever need about lighting techniques.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

A couple of general books worth buying are:

Basic Photography, Micheal Langford, Focal Press

Advanced Photography, Michael Langford, Focal Press

These two books are essentially text books used for college courses and are extremely well written. The 1970's/80's editions are going to be all film based so probably the best.

Ian

One that comes to mind is Beyond the Zone System. I don't recall the author.
    Phil Davis.

There is also John Shaefer's book:

The Ansel Adams Guide: Basic Techniques of Photography, Book 2 (Ansel Adams Guide to the Basic Techniques of Photography, #2)

This is an update (from about 10 years ago) of a similar book he published in '92.

Andrew

Another good book is Bruce Barnbaum's, The Art of Photography: An Approach to Personal Expression.

I suggest Henry Horenstein's books:
    Black and White Photography: A Basic Manual
    Beyond Basic Photography: A Technical Manual
    Very clearly written and often used as texts for photography courses.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

It isn't clear to me from your post whether you want to learn B/W film photography, use of "LF" equipment, or both.

The Adams series is both the bible of classical film photography and infamously difficult to learn from for some, particularly without previous background. IMO, although you should read and reference (and cherish) them as you learn, you would be better off beginning with other introductory classical film photography tomes, mentioned in previous posts. There is plenty of help as you encounter difficulties from knowledgeable veterans in the film based forums on this and other forums. I dare say that APUG might be more useful in that regard, as it specializes in classical film technique, whereas this forum in general seems to lean more towards the use of LF equipment. Many members here also check in (for better or worse) regularly over there as well.

If only interested in the use of large format photographic tools, then I think this is the right place. Members here love to talk about there equipment. But really, once you understand film, LF is simply another tool for a photographer, no more difficult to learn than any other camera, once the physics of light and camera movements is appreciated. In many ways, LF tools are the simplest, or at least most basic of cameras to operate.

In either case, I have not yet come across any on–line courses for the complete education of classical photography techniques. However, many experienced and accomplished people here and on other forums are eager to help newbies, really to the point of tutoring. Many of us (including me) have learning articles on our personal sites or blogs, and posted YouTube videos to disseminate what has become arcane technique. These forums are, and have become, de facto, schools of learning what has now become alternative photography. Your challenge will be to distinguish who among the many weighing in on your questions has standing with respect to your particular needs. In that regard, I would suggest checking the personal websites of posters to decide for yourself whose work parallels your interests, and who has committed themselves authentically to the general education of photographic techniques.