Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sorry, folks, unplanned site outage

Preston Birdwell

Re: Sorry, folks, unplanned site outage

Glad to see our forum back up again. Thanks to Tom and the techs for getting things rolling again, and preserving the stored data!

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Westbrook View Post
    Data was restored from a backup taken about 1am Oct-9 PDT. Looks like the site went down about 3am Oct 9 PDT. Hopefully not much is missing...
    Good to know we only missed a few thousand of Drew's posts.

Thanks. This being at least the second server crash in my tenure here, would someone enlighten me as to how a crash specifically takes down the site? Is the server located in someone's closet? I imagine something like that, since a hosted site would keep running. How does this work for LFPF? Enquiring minds want to know.

So good to catch up with friends.

Thanks!

so great to see you again my friends... analog datas should be more stable ��

Good to see us back, thanks for all the time and dedication you spent to get it up again.

Hey were you able to disconnect Monty M ability to post here like I requested,, It will make for a much better site.

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    This being at least the second server crash in my tenure here, would someone enlighten me as to how a crash specifically takes down the site?
    A server is basically just a computer that hosts files, websites forums etc. So basically any thing that could cause your own computer to crash could also cause a server to crash.

From what I have read the issue here was cable that connected the hard drive to the mother board in the computer went bad and thus caused the hard drive to fail. If it just been the hard drive that failed I'm sure things would have been up and running faster but then they still had problems after replacing the hard drive so things took longer.

It does sound like they are not running redundant hardware so that things like this don't effect the end user. With redundant hardware a second server would automatically take over then it detected that the main server was not performing its task.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Good to see all you guys again. I like apug, but I consider this place home. Thanks Tom, for getting it up and running again.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Not a criticism, but was the camera crooked, or the floor under the barrels crooked?
    Stone, looks to me like the lower barrels are vertical, but the upper barrels are placed on the lower ones in such a way that fingers can get under their edges to make lifting easier.

And, thanks to Tom et al, I can breathe again.

Very happy to see the site up again. I had a sinking feeling that you were experiencing my own private hell from a few years ago when in attempting to fix a failure of a disk drive in a RAID 5 array, a tech pulled a second drive from the array, thus completely breaking things in ways that should never of happened. Took us a week to get hardware on site, reconfigured and a terrabyte or so restored from backup. Thanks for all your hard work!

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.