Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Sorry, folks, unplanned site outage

Lurker

Re: Sorry, folks, unplanned site outage

Brian,

Awesome story of finding the server problem. Condolances to you and your family. Forums can wait as family is first.

Thank again,

David

Quote Originally Posted by Sevo View Post
    How about a volunteer driven backup solution? There must be quite a few users that are, like me, running LAMP servers of their own, with enough bandwidth and space to spare to carry the forum over a week or two without any extra expenses. If a list of the required software packages was kept in sync with all updates on the server, it should be fairly trivial to get a backup running within hours.
    Probably not necessary, but we'll keep your offer in mind, and can ask for server space if it comes to that.

If nothing else, can we make larger limits for the inbox? I'm constantly having to clear it out, and missing messages, I would pay to have a bigger inbox here, the limits are sort of ridiculous ... Please.

From Ralph Barker, moderator:
    The idea of paid memberships, along with other revenue-generating methods, has been discussed in the past. The owner (Q. T. Luong) and the mods all agree, however, that the spirit of the site is better supported by keeping it free to all, and generally free of commercial interests.

Coming very late to this discussion, I support this policy at 100%. I send from overseas my best regards to the team operating this most valuable international LF photography forum.
    As a moderator of the French MF+LF forum http://www.galerie-photo.info, I know the immediate and "epidermic" (as we say in French) reactions of forum members when an outage suddenly happens. (Due to particular circumstances, I do not dare to use the word "shutdown").

The fact that a web site & forum is owned by one person, namely here: by Tuan Luong, simplifies things.
    Tuan does what he wants. Of course, my understanding is that he listens to the moderators and to the users, but as strange at it may seem, Tuan is not in a position where a popular vote could decide against what he things best, or most funny, for HIS web site

Quote Originally Posted by Emmanuel BIGLER View Post
    From Ralph Barker, moderator:
    The idea of paid memberships, along with other revenue-generating methods, has been discussed in the past. The owner (Q. T. Luong) and the mods all agree, however, that the spirit of the site is better supported by keeping it free to all, and generally free of commercial interests.

Coming very late to this discussion, I support this policy at 100%. I send from overseas my best regards to the team operating this most valuable international LF photography forum.
    As a moderator of the French MF+LF forum http://www.galerie-photo.info, I know the immediate and "epidermic" (as we say in French) reactions of forum members when an outage suddenly happens. (Due to particular circumstances, I do not dare to use the word "shutdown").

The fact that a web site & forum is owned by one person, namely here: by Tuan Luong, simplifies things.
    Tuan does what he wants. Of course, my understanding is that he listens to the moderators and to the users, but as strange at it may seem, Tuan is not in a position where a popular vote could decide against what he things best, or most funny, for HIS web site
    That's fair

And you're right.

What if there were just a "member only" gallery, at least the person would have to go to the process of setting up an account to steal work rather than just use google LOL

The email thing, well, I guess I'm just used to gmail amd APUG and not having to delete anything lol.

I'm spoiled

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    . . . What if there were just a "member only" gallery, at least the person would have to go to the process of setting up an account to steal work rather than just use google LOL
    Actually, that is largely what we have now. Non-members (and members who aren't logged in) can only see the thumbnails of images that are uploaded to our server. Externally-linked images are, of course, visible, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    Actually, that is largely what we have now. Non-members (and members who aren't logged in) can only see the thumbnails of images that are uploaded to our server. Externally-linked images are, of course, visible, though.
    Oh, hah! Well now who's the idiot! (I am) I didn't realize, I'm never signed out... Haha!

was there an outage a while ago?

Quote Originally Posted by analoguey View Post
    was there an outage a while ago?
    Yes, in October of 2013.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I couldn't get to the site yesterday, but that may have been because I was in a meeting and had no internet connectivity. Would that be considererd a site outage? If so, it affected many sites since I could not access any at all.