Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 108

Thread: Sorry, folks, unplanned site outage

  1. #91
    Lurker
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    206

    Re: Sorry, folks, unplanned site outage

    Brian,

    Awesome story of finding the server problem. Condolances to you and your family. Forums can wait as family is first.

    Thank again,

    David

  2. #92
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Posts
    1,228

    Re: Sorry, folks, unplanned site outage

    Quote Originally Posted by Sevo View Post
    How about a volunteer driven backup solution? There must be quite a few users that are, like me, running LAMP servers of their own, with enough bandwidth and space to spare to carry the forum over a week or two without any extra expenses. If a list of the required software packages was kept in sync with all updates on the server, it should be fairly trivial to get a backup running within hours.
    Probably not necessary, but we'll keep your offer in mind, and can ask for server space if it comes to that.

  3. #93
    I live in Connecticut now.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    5,316

    Re: Sorry, folks, unplanned site outage

    If nothing else, can we make larger limits for the inbox? I'm constantly having to clear it out, and missing messages, I would pay to have a bigger inbox here, the limits are sort of ridiculous ... Please.

  4. #94

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Besanšon, France
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: Sorry, folks, unplanned site outage

    From Ralph Barker, moderator:
    The idea of paid memberships, along with other revenue-generating methods, has been discussed in the past. The owner (Q. T. Luong) and the mods all agree, however, that the spirit of the site is better supported by keeping it free to all, and generally free of commercial interests.

    Coming very late to this discussion, I support this policy at 100%. I send from overseas my best regards to the team operating this most valuable international LF photography forum.
    As a moderator of the French MF+LF forum http://www.galerie-photo.info, I know the immediate and "epidermic" (as we say in French) reactions of forum members when an outage suddenly happens. (Due to particular circumstances, I do not dare to use the word "shutdown").

    The fact that a web site & forum is owned by one person, namely here: by Tuan Luong, simplifies things.
    Tuan does what he wants. Of course, my understanding is that he listens to the moderators and to the users, but as strange at it may seem, Tuan is not in a position where a popular vote could decide against what he things best, or most funny, for HIS web site

  5. #95
    I live in Connecticut now.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    5,316

    Re: Sorry, folks, unplanned site outage

    Quote Originally Posted by Emmanuel BIGLER View Post
    From Ralph Barker, moderator:
    The idea of paid memberships, along with other revenue-generating methods, has been discussed in the past. The owner (Q. T. Luong) and the mods all agree, however, that the spirit of the site is better supported by keeping it free to all, and generally free of commercial interests.

    Coming very late to this discussion, I support this policy at 100%. I send from overseas my best regards to the team operating this most valuable international LF photography forum.
    As a moderator of the French MF+LF forum http://www.galerie-photo.info, I know the immediate and "epidermic" (as we say in French) reactions of forum members when an outage suddenly happens. (Due to particular circumstances, I do not dare to use the word "shutdown").

    The fact that a web site & forum is owned by one person, namely here: by Tuan Luong, simplifies things.
    Tuan does what he wants. Of course, my understanding is that he listens to the moderators and to the users, but as strange at it may seem, Tuan is not in a position where a popular vote could decide against what he things best, or most funny, for HIS web site
    That's fair

    And you're right.

    What if there were just a "member only" gallery, at least the person would have to go to the process of setting up an account to steal work rather than just use google LOL

    The email thing, well, I guess I'm just used to gmail amd APUG and not having to delete anything lol.

    I'm spoiled

  6. #96
    Moderator Ralph Barker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Location
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Posts
    4,718

    Re: Sorry, folks, unplanned site outage

    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    . . . What if there were just a "member only" gallery, at least the person would have to go to the process of setting up an account to steal work rather than just use google LOL
    Actually, that is largely what we have now. Non-members (and members who aren't logged in) can only see the thumbnails of images that are uploaded to our server. Externally-linked images are, of course, visible, though.

  7. #97
    I live in Connecticut now.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    5,316

    Re: Sorry, folks, unplanned site outage

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    Actually, that is largely what we have now. Non-members (and members who aren't logged in) can only see the thumbnails of images that are uploaded to our server. Externally-linked images are, of course, visible, though.
    Oh, hah! Well now who's the idiot! (I am) I didn't realize, I'm never signed out... Haha!

  8. #98

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    284

    Re: Sorry, folks, unplanned site outage

    was there an outage a while ago?

  9. #99
    Moderator Ralph Barker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Location
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Posts
    4,718

    Re: Sorry, folks, unplanned site outage

    Quote Originally Posted by analoguey View Post
    was there an outage a while ago?
    Yes, in October of 2013.

  10. #100

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    4,426

    Re: Sorry, folks, unplanned site outage

    I couldn't get to the site yesterday, but that may have been because I was in a meeting and had no internet connectivity. Would that be considererd a site outage? If so, it affected many sites since I could not access any at all.

Similar Threads

  1. Brief Outage Saturday, March 10, 7am CST
    By Tom Westbrook in forum News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 9-Mar-2012, 19:29
  2. Forum Outage for Upgrade 2/17-2/19
    By Tom Westbrook in forum News
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 16-Feb-2012, 05:52
  3. Brief Forum Outage 8/13 6am CDT
    By Tom Westbrook in forum News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-Aug-2011, 03:56
  4. Emergency Outage Today
    By Tom Westbrook in forum News
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 22-Aug-2009, 13:02

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •