Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Paint? for Ansco 8x10

Re: Paint? for Ansco 8x10

as I said the gray kind of grew on me and I will not be changing mine but paul how about a picture

loujon

I know this not the lovely "Steel Grey" Ansco wood work but instead is the ugly "Adams Brown" stain but here's my 5x7 with matching ugly camera stand and original hard case( Not as ugly as that brown color).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_2469.jpg   DSC_1728.jpg   DSC_1853.jpg  

still a beautiful camera...... my 8x10 also came with original case

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00105.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	103091

Quote Originally Posted by don mishler View Post
    yes Randy it is 8x10 and as I have seen so few Ansco cameras I breathlessly await a picture of your 5x7
    Attachment 103066
    BTW... can anyone tell me what the bracket on the front standard is for?
    You need to remember that these cameras changed during WWII, the older Ansco cameras evolved and became Agfa Ansco.Then the company was taken over halfway through WWII, when the US joined the war, all camera production at Bingham ceased, they made sextons and other instruments instead. The LF cameras were made elsewhere with slight changes and some different hardware, more utilitarian for government &military contracts. Before this most cameras were stained although the De-luxe versions were offered painted grey but after the changes all Ansco LF cameras were painted grey.

Ian

Maybe the bracket is a place to park the dark slide? I read in an owners manual somewhere about a clip for holding a darkcloth. Maybe that was a Calumet.

My gray Ansco ended up looking like this....

Name:	Ansco 10.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	235.1 KB 
ID:	103105Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ansco 23.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	103106

Another one headed for the same fate.

I agree with all of you, but in this instance, my camera was stripped to bare wood before I got it, so original patina is long gone. I also have an older version 8x10 with nice stained wood & brass hardware that i'm keeping original. I also have 2 5x7s in orig gray finish.
    This one is going to be a user, it has had a lot of filler in very visible places that stain wont cover. With nickel plated hardware, I wanted to go black.

The question remains, what type, brand, of paint, enamel, lacquer?. Maybe an opaque stain would cover completely? Do I need primer, maybe a clear coat over the color coat?
    If I was to go gray, any help with what type, brand, shade of paint etc.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Quote Originally Posted by dsphotog View Post
    I agree with all of you, but in this instance, my camera was stripped to bare wood before I got it, so original patina is long gone. I also have an older version 8x10 with nice stained wood & brass hardware that i'm keeping original. I also have 2 5x7s in orig gray finish.
    This one is going to be a user, it has had a lot of filler in very visible places that stain wont cover. With nickel plated hardware, I wanted to go black.

The question remains, what type, brand, of paint, enamel, lacquer?. Maybe an opaque stain would cover completely? Do I need primer, maybe a clear coat over the color coat?
    If I was to go gray, any help with what type, brand, shade of paint etc.
    Try this plus a urethane clear coat in the gloss of your choice

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/202...bony-Pint.aspx

Redshift, your camera looks outstanding! I'd try to replicate yours, but.... Mine had a large chunk broken out of the side of the rear standard, filled and sanded now.
    That's why I think an opaque finish would be better.... Maybe gray after all.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Ha. c.1981 I tried to take the gray paint off my Ansco 8x10. See Petzval Paul's comment... I did get the paint off eventually, and stained it with Minwax; it never looked as good as the original, even though the gray paint showed decades of abuse. Perhaps the OP has my old camera.

Here are 5X7 Kodak and Ansco both with factory finishes, obviously the Kodak Clinical Camera, made in UK is factory black and the Ansco is factory grey. The Ansco came with 4 backs, matching grey 4x5, 5x7 5x7 slider. The 4th back is a natural wood slider 4x5. Both cameras are in amazing condition. The Kodak seems to me to resemble a Graflex Crown View camera. I like using the Ansco 5x7 sliding back.

Pick your color, black or grey. I am certainly not stripping any paint off these gems.

Name:	4-DSCN3416.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	103116Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5-DSCN3417.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	103117