Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paint? for Ansco 8x10

Paint? for Ansco 8x10

I have an Ansco 8x10, it was stripped to bare wood by the previous owner, I want to paint it black. It has had some rather extensive filling so staining it wont look good... My question is what paint to use...maybe black with clear gloss?
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Re: Paint? for Ansco 8x10

I would think twice about black, shows dust real bad. Don't stain, maybe a rub, I use Danish Watco oil on most fresh wood. My Studio Ansco has original peeling grey. Many prefer unrestored old things, patina is cherished as a sign of of good genetic makeup.

Quote Originally Posted by dsphotog View Post
    I have an Ansco 8x10, it was stripped to bare wood by the previous owner, I want to paint it black. It has had some rather extensive filling so staining it wont look good... My question is what paint to use...maybe black with clear gloss?
    Last edited by Tin Can; 6-Oct-2013 at 00:06. Reason: unrestored

my Ansco is grey

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00112.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	103065

Is that 8x10? Don't make me show off my 5x7 Grey Ansco, absolutely my favorite camera.

Quote Originally Posted by don mishler View Post
    my Ansco is grey

Name:	DSC00112.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	103065

yes Randy it is 8x10 and as I have seen so few Ansco cameras I breathlessly await a picture of your 5x7

Name:	DSC00110.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	103066
    BTW... can anyone tell me what the bracket on the front standard is for?

You will have to wait, it's buried and I am right now testing my Darkroom water flow, I got it hooked up an hour ago. checking leaks.

I will show you some camera pics here.

Natural wood is overrated and simply an affectation, if the camera came with grey paint!

What bracket, you mean tilt? My 5x7 is very similar with the same knobs. Mostly likely 50's.

yes Randy it is 8x10 and as I have seen so few Ansco cameras I breathlessly await a picture of your 5x7

Name:	DSC00110.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	103066
    BTW... can anyone tell me what the bracket on the front standard is for?

no I am curious about the silver bracket on the side of the front standard above the rise fall knob.

I have a grey Burke and James 5x7 and I really grew to love the color. The Ansco is like a B&J plus and I am really enjoying it so far. The black plastic knobs do have a real 50's feel to me.

I think mine has the same silver bracket, I figured it was an option for flash, as I have seen a similar thing on Press cameras.

Ansco is way nicer than B&J which I do have few of.

no I am curious about the silver bracket on the side of the front standard above the rise fall knob.

I have a grey Burke and James 5x7 and I really grew to love the color. The Ansco is like a B&J plus and I am really enjoying it so far. The black plastic knobs do have a real 50's feel to me.

[...] BTW... can anyone tell me what the bracket on the front standard is for?
    It might be the attachment point for a vignetter which later was improved and is called today a compendium lens shade. I have such but the mount is a bit different.

I had a grey ansco 8x10 and still have a B&J 4x5 that was also grey. I doubt that I will ever buy such a grey camera again as stripping them was just too much work. The grey was pretty much stained into the wood and too much sanding would have been needed, so I just painted it with black ink and then coated it with shellac that had a bit of lamp black in it. Looks pretty cool with the red bellows