Thread: Releasing Old Technika when Hand Held

Guilherme Maranhão coisasdavida's Avatar

Releasing Old Technika when Hand Held

Hi all,

I see my old Technika III has the two holes that fit the collar around their cable release.
    These are hard to find, specially here in Brazil. A conversion to the current model (if exists) is probably beyond my budget.

Has anyone seen a 3D printing replacement of the collar that could be applied to regular cable releases?

Other idea I have was to enlarge those two holes and rivet a u-shaped aluminum profile, a short piece. The cable release would ride inside that and a rubber band could hold it in place?

Does anyone think it is best to simply get rid of the cable release? Is this viable?

Appreciate any thoughts on this.

Re: Releasing Old Technika when Hand Held

It's hard to find that bipost collar. You just hunt around for Linhof odds and ends on eBay until you get one or two, because most people don't even know what they are without seeing it in use. The pins are metal and snap into the socket. The collar is plastic, and fits any Linhof cable release that will also fit the ergonomic grip. It is nice to be able to have a release that closes inside the camera, so if you can't find the original part, it may make sense to make an alternative.

Another solution, if you have a Tech III with a leather strap is just to thread a longer release through the top part of the strap and run it to the shutter, and then you trigger the camera with your left thumb. You can't close the camera with the release attached to the shutter, but it's not a bad way to trigger the shutter.

The release that fit thaose holes was made by a company that went out of business 30 or 40 years ago and Linhof stopped using that feature after the releases ran out. Since then they have plugged the holes on all cameras made since then.

Guilherme Maranhão coisasdavida's Avatar

David, I like your idea. When I actually close the camera (not very often) I have other stuff to disassemble anyway (finder, linhof shade).
    I guess I have to photograph more with the camera until I realise which finger (right index or left thumb) is better to use to trigger the shutter.

Now, looking at my Tech III, it has amother pair of holes above the letter strap. Clever!
    My Tech IV only has a pair of holes behind the focus knob.

Bob, thanks for the info!