Thread: Betax 3 shutter

Betax 3 shutter

Hi, I've recently acquired a Wollensak Velostigmat mounted on Betax n.3 shutter. The shutter seems fairly cooked, it seems to fire at the same speed regardless of what is dialled. I also would quite like to be able to use this lens with flash synch, so my questions are:
    a) is there a more modern shutter I can look to obtain that this lens will fit on and that has flash synch?
    b) if I get it serviced is there any other way to synch flash other than modifying the shutter itself?

thx

Re: Betax 3 shutter

The Alphax No. 3 has the same dimensions, but some of the Betax shutters were special made to fit particular lens cells. I think some Alphax had flash sync.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

I sent a really "cooked " deltax shutter to Fluots and they replaced springs and other parts and brought it back to life!

I have a 12 in. Velostigmat in Betax 3 which is working. I'm betting the shutter could be fixed. It seems fairly robust.

Are you at all mechanically inclined? Betax 3s are fairly simple, and you can find complete disassembly and cleaning instructions online (as I recall, someone has photos on Flickr of every step).

dan