Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: An Arca-Swiss user looking for another compact field camera

An Arca-Swiss user looking for another compact field camera

I have used an Arca-Swiss 45FC Field for many years and found that it's too bulky especially when hiking though I love its smoothness and rigidity very much. Now I have a plan to buy another field camera that can be fit in a small backpack like Lowepro Mini Trekker AW. After a long searching and reading the archives, I narrow down my choice to Ebony 45S, Canham DLC45 and Walker Titan SF. Would you please share your comments? Please keep in mind that my priority are below in order;

1. For a man who get used to the smoothness/rigidity of Arca-Swiss, the camera should not be far behind it in this aspect. I don't know which one comes closest to my Arca.

2. Compactness is my second important factor. I think all three cameras are comparable in this aspect.

3. The camera must be usable with 75-300mm lenses at least. The longer lens are preferable that I think the DLC wins.

4. Durability. Since I live in Thailand that is very hot and humid, this is also an important factor that makes me sway from Ebony.

If you were in this situation, which camera would you buy? Keep in mind that I still use my Arca-Swiss and looking for another camera for hiking. Are there other cameras I overlooked? Maybe a Toyo 45AII.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Although it's not on your initial 'finalists' list, I've happily used a Toyo 45AX (same as the AII but without the rotating back) for about three years. This camera is now deceased (see post two below this one) through no fault of Toyo's. Anyway, it fits nicely in a smallish Lowepro street and field rover awII (fairly similar to the pack you mentioned), has smooth movements, is rigid, reliable, easy to use, and is I think, a bit cheaper than your other choices.

I use a 90 lens with ease, but for a 75 I think you'd have to go with a recessed board. On the long side, a 300 or a 360 telephoto is max.

As far as "negatives" go, I wouldn't mind a front axis tilt (it has only base tilt), it is sort of heavy (around 6lbs) and is generally not the most glamourous camera to look at (if that matters to you), but in all, as I said, I have been quite satisfied with it and would recommend you consider it.

The DLC. because simplicity of design and ease of maintenance as wel las abiity to use it wit ha wide range of lenses. It is very rigid when actually making photographs..

I second the Toyo AX or AII. I looked at the Canham DLC but the back seemed quite mushy when locked up. I don't think it even comes close to your requirement for 'smoothness and rigidity'... My AII handles my 300 Nikkor in to about 12 feet and my 65mm works fine with a 12mm recessed board and can be used with the back in horizontal position without dropping the bed. A 75mm should work without a recessed board. The AII folds up into a very bullet proof box. The back has a flip up hood that protects the ground glass. I took it to Death Valley with two lenses film and Quickload holder in a Mini Trekker...It does have base tilts but the front locking system is fast. With a little practice you can unlock the front and adjust tilt, shift and focus nearly simultaneously using both hands and then lock it up with only two locking levers and adjust fine focus.

If the Arca is the equal of a Linhof Technikas that I've owned in terms of smoothness and rigidity, and if the Ebony 45S is no better in those terms than the Ebony 45 SVTe and the SvTi that I owned, then I can tell you that the Ebony 45S is going to be a pretty long way from what you're used to with the Arca. I think you're going to have a lot of trouble finding a wood camera that is the equal of a good metal camera in terms of smoothness and ridigity. Wood cameras have many good features and I'm not knocking them, it's just that for smoothness and rigidity alone I think a good metal camera will always be better.

I've owned six wooden cameras in various formats including the two Ebonys. I've also owned two Technikas. The Ebonys were very fine cameras in many respects but strictly from a smoothness and rigidity standpoint they weren't the equal or even very close to the equal IMHO to the Technikas. Actually when I look at the four specific points that you say are important to you I wonder why you haven't bought a Technika by now since it fits perfectly with all four of them.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Get a Linhof Technika. Or a Wista VX, which has several small improvements and is more versatile, although the Linhof is probably slightly better made than either the Wista or the Arca.

OR, get an inexpensive "beater" like an old Crown Graphic - something that you don't mind using in the rain or the worst conditions. They are very durable cameras that will make just as good a photo as a $5000 Arca or Linhof.

Octogenarian

Take a look at Jack Dykinga's book "Large format Nature Photography". He has solved the exact problem you are facing. He uses an Arca Swiss F and a Wista wooden field camera. Jack lives and photographs in Arzona. A very warm climate, but without the extreme humidity of Thailand.

The Walker Titan SF (made of ABS and stainless steel) would probably withstand the conditions of heat and moisture in Thailand better than a wooden field camera. However, it is slightly bulkier and heavier than the wooden Wista that Jack uses.

A metal folding flat bed field camera, such as the Toyo A, the Wista SP, or the Linhof Tech Field, are durable, compact, smooth operating cameras, but they are not exactly light weight cameras for backpack hiking.

If I were in your situation, I would choose the Walker.

If you look at the corner joints of the Walker compared to the Ebony you'll see a huge difference in quality and strength of construction. The Walker uses triangular, glued blocks to reinforce the joint, whereas the Ebony has a very clean and strong joint. Neither camera will give you strength and precision of an Arca though.

Why not adapt the Arca with a 2x3 front standard and special bellows? Dykinga and Kerry Thalman manages to backpack with their Arcas, and it would make more sense than getting into another camera system.

Check my recent thread here and on photo.net where I asked a similar-ish question - titled something like

I'm assuming you are using the F Compact 4x5 with both standards the same size? (not the F Field?) As Frank mentioned, you could do the conversion yourself to the F Field -

http://www.tomwestbrook.com/Photography/arca_swiss.html
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

that shopuld have been - titled something like "Canham DLC vs. Arca Swiss Basic - dump the arca?"
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog