Thread: Dark Green Safelight

Dark Green Safelight

Hi

I need a dark green safelight for work with panchromatic materials.

I can not find anything to buy on the web - only this: ELO Green Safelight Filter

http://www.thedarkroom.co.uk/elo-gre...ht-filter.html

I need it in 9x12cm size for Kaiser safelight.

Ilford filters are impossible to find. (new or used)

Is ELO filter good?

Maybe you could advise me something.

Thanks.

Re: Dark Green Safelight

Quote Originally Posted by Łukasz Owsianka View Post
    Is ELO filter good?
    I have my doubts whether it is good for your purpose. Nothing on that page confirms that it is panchro-safe dark green. And it seems to be the ribbed plastic type common for 9x12cm size amateur safelights from the sixties on - where film-safe filters are even more rare (if they ever existed) than among bigger size gelatin-between-glass pro filter panes. Overall, it is more likely that it is one of the far more common fixed-gradation paper safe green filters (similar to this: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Dunkelkammer-...-/380708186586) or a dark-olive colour paper safe filter (like this: http://www.ebay.de/itm/KAISER-Dunkel...-/360507682097). I have used the latter on desensitized low speed film with only minor fogging, but it is no substitute for the real thing and might zap un-desensitized film, being half-way between b&w paper safe and film safe filters in brightness.

I fear the second hand market will be your only resource - and properly declared ones will rarely ever show up there. Your best bet will be asking around among people that do know the difference between the various darkroom filter types once available. If none of our members has one for sale (or to give away), you might try over at APUG, or give long-established local photography businesses a call...

I have got an idea,

The back side of the film is painted green (if reflections appearance they are green and do not fog the image)

Maybe couple of them will be good as a filter?

Maybe somebody tried it?

If somebody has got it for sale. I will be very happy to buy it.

I don't think that will do - antihalation dye layers are the thing that dissolves first when film hits the developer or fixer, it will be impossible to remove the silver coating and retain the antihalation dye. Besides the AH layer is supposed to be opaque, and not "film safe green" but some arbitrary colour (Efke were the only green ones I remember in recent times, the bulk are purple or grey).

For a list of Kodak darkroom filter numbers, see http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...845/ti0845.pdf - you'd need 3 or 7b, or another brand equivalent of the same. I think I have an Agfa equivalent around in print somewhere, will scan and post it if I manage to locate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevo View Post
    I don't think that will do. For a list of Kodak darkroom filter numbers, see http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...845/ti0845.pdf - I think I have an Agfa equivalent around in print somewhere, will scan and post it if I manage to locate it.

Thanks.

You don't say what country you're in but if you're still looking I have a Kodak Safelight filter No. 13, Cat 179 6663 which is a very, very dark green. That is in fairly good condition. I also have an Olive Green Johnson (Johnsons of Hendon?) Safelight filter Series 2/08. This one has no binding (sticky tape) holding the two elements together. If you're desperate PM me. They are both designed to fit a 5x7 inch safelight. I have a spare one of those as well but it's not light (excuse the pun).
    Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Watkins View Post
    You don't say what country you're in but if you're still looking I have a Kodak Safelight filter No. 13, Cat 179 6663 which is a very, very dark green. That is in fairly good condition. I also have an Olive Green Johnson (Johnsons of Hendon?) Safelight filter Series 2/08. This one has no binding (sticky tape) holding the two elements together. If you're desperate PM me. They are both designed to fit a 5x7 inch safelight. I have a spare one of those as well but it's not light (excuse the pun).
    Pete.

I am from Poland. I need Agfa 108 or Ilford 908 filter (very dark green)

Hi tukasz,
    All the manufacturers who made safelight filters gave their filters different numbers or codes. See if you can find a comparison site.
    Pete

I have a dark green safelight from my color printing days, I would have to dig around in the attic to find it. PM me if you are interrested in buying it.
    Oops, its a #13 not a #3 for panchro materials.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    I have a dark green safelight from my color printing days, I would have to dig around in the attic to find it. PM me if you are interrested in buying it.
    Oops, its a #13 not a #3 for panchro materials.
    Yes it should be a Kodak #3. I want to find something better than dark red. Continuous red light is useless with panchromatic emulsion.