Thread: Light leak troubleshooting

Light leak troubleshooting

Sorry, I've got a pesky light leak I'm trying to track down. I was on a photo road trip three weeks ago and used multiple film holders. Most of the filmed turned out fine but the leak appeared on a quarter of the images, not sure what's causing it. If you've encountered anything like this or could provide some insight, it would be appreciated. Aside from the occasional leak, the trip through West Texas was fun. Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan004.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	102636Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pamparoad.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	102637

Re: Light leak troubleshooting

Chuck, my guess is film holders not seating properly, since it happens with some but not all your holders. Does it only happen in landscape orientation, or portrait too? It may also help to know camera details. For example, I had an issue with a Horseman VH which I traced to two small adhesive plastic strips which prevented holders seating properly. Why on earth they were there is beyond me, since the holders and rollfilm back fitted snugly without them. I believe they were factory fitted, and removing them solved the problem. Another possibility might be revolving back not locked tightly (if your camera has one). The fact that it happens at the bottom of the camera is also puzzling. Just some ideas that might help.

Barry

Re: Light leak troubleshooting

Your shadows in the images indicate that the leak is coming from the same direction as the sun, high and on the open end of the holder. The position of the leak and the fact that there is a pure area next to the edge before the leak pattern begins, makes me think either bad positioning as Chuck says, OR the possibility that you have the slide completely out and the holder is nearly in line with the sun which would imply that you have a worm light seal inside the holder. The pure edge area makes me lean heavily toward the latter as that would result from the inner edge of the frame casting that shadow from the leak.

All of my holders are old and I've experienced this, so I either keep the slide in the edge of the holder (not for windy days), flip the back to the side away from the sun, or throw the dark cloth over the back before pulling the slide.

Good luck.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg