Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Really tacky!

retrogrouchy

Re: Really tacky!

Rank opportunism. They do it, of course, because they get away with it most of the time.

There are plenty of mugs willing to be taken advantage of, and with camera gear being so cheap, there isn't even a shortage of mostly-skilled mugs. Sure they're not masters, but advertising agencies arguably don't need masters. There is no way in hell I would consider becoming a commercial photographer.

This is not new. I've seen it many times in my 35 years in the biz.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dudenbostel View Post
    There is a new corporate mentality. I have a good friend that was terminated from his job last November. It was a producer for a fairly major tv production company. He'd been in the business for almost thirty years. His shows were major network series. He was booted out because he was making too much money and replaced by the owner of the business brother in law. It didn't matter that he produced and developed more successful shows than any other producer in the company. His Tallent just wasn't valued.

It's great to be 65 and about to retire.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I call it "Craigslist Logic".

I only work for free for my church and a couple local social organizations. Anyone else gets a commercial rate quote.

working for free is not commercial photography
    saying no is the only way
    you really have nothing to loose
    the agency would not work for you for free or expect a free coffee at Starbucks
    or a free car from a dealer

just say no and respect yourself and others
    and gently educate people who can't see why

there are situations when I work for free but commercial work is not one of them

rant over ...

It's not just photography; it is all business.
    It seems to be the norm now days.
    If there is no budget for the work, then don't bother asking.

I might reply to the company, "Let's try it my way: you pay me and I do nothing. Get it?"

Not even. Just hang up and walk away. They don't deserve the courtesy of a reply.

Everybody wants somethin' for nuthin'. Ain't new, but it always sucks.

I finally think I'm over my rant now. I did the right thing and was polite when I said no. I always try to keep doors open for future pay work which I think is unlikely. Like I told them if they were a good paying client I'd bend over backward for them. I have several long term clients I'd do free work for if they needed it because they've taken care of me for years.

Thanks all for your support and listening to my rant.

Extremely tacky and, in my opinion, rude to even ask of somebody they don't have a solid relationship with already.
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotah Jackson View Post
    http://www.catherinedeveny.com/colum...equal-not.html

This woman's reply to an outfit who wanted her time and endorsement for nothing is a way to handle stuff like this.
    She nailed it on the head.

I'm afraid there are plenty of people that will work for only a byline as I was promised. Like I and Catherine said it wint buy groceries.

I see it on this and other forums where folks will work for free just for recognition. Some of this might be in the hopes they'll be discovered and eventually get pay jobs. Let me tell you it doesn't work like that.

I suspect what happened in my case was the person that was going to do it free bailed at the last minute. The call I received was at 5:00pm on Friday afternoon. The event started mid afternoon Saturday which was less than 24 hours away. This was a huge event, baloon fest, and costs tens of thousands of dollars to put on. Ifcsomeonechadnt bailed why would they wait till the evening before to line up a photographer to shoot the magazine article? All I can say is that's what you get with amateurs , freebies and they deserve it. You hire a professional that's been in the biz for decades and you get quality, dependability and everything you expect from a pro.

Thanks for the link and hats off to her.