Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Really tacky!

Wingnut/GearJammer/IBEWRetired Racer X 69's Avatar

Re: Really tacky!

Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    In my cars, I keep a spare headlight bulb or two in the glove box. They never fail when it's convenient.

Me too!

My Saab won't even stay running if I pop a turbo air hose/pipe; it really confuses the computers about air metering.
    A big truck will barely move when the turbo boost is lost.

I feel for ya. But I also own a business and have some additional perspective.

A business can't just throw a couple hundred your way; well, a mom & pop biz might, but most businesses won't send money without an invoice. Perhaps a different sort of reward could be extracted easier than an unplanned/unbudgeted request for money, like asking the boss to buy you lunch or something. Particularly, money going to individuals for random reasons and tasks without invoices could be tax problems or the appearance of misappropriation especially if you are friends with the person making financial decisions.

Expect business people to be businesslike (tight) and not creative in resolving this. Better would be to let the biz owner/manager know you can save them a bunch (as you have proven) with simple mechanic tasks, and provide an alternative schedule of what you'd want for $ for those tasks. Then they can decide between paying you or a more expensive stranger, and everyone should be happy they are saving money and you are making money.
    Thank you for the perspective. For sure I have looked at this situation form that angle too.

Expect some safeguards to be implemented so parts are needlessly replaced. They may not want some driver to start needlessly changing headlight bulbs every week to pay for his cigarettes for example.
    In the case of replaced lighting I have always returned to the main hub with the old parts, and exchanged them for new ones in the shop.

I don't smoke (nasty habit), and although I may have an occasional Barley Pop with dinner (only when I am done driving for the day, of course!), I won't carry any in the truck's refrigerator.

Again, thanks for the comments jp, they are certainly appreciated.
    Whiskey Is Sunlight Held Together By Water

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    My note plainly keeps your point in mind and even addresses it.

And it is also worth keeping in mind that when an individual ventures out from his private space to involve and entangle himself in public space, then his actions are judged by a higher social standard. He can do mostly what he pleases in his living room, but not in public. An owner of the forum, of course, does not own the Internet. Hence, if the forum owner does not respect the rights of free expression of the broader public culture that uses the Internet, then he casts a shadow over his own right to be involved in the Internet in the first place. The situation is roughly analogous to the bar keep who insists that because he owns his bar he can control it in any manner that he sees fit. But the public holds him to a higher standard and rejects his right to absolute control of his private space if he maintains practices harmful to the broader culture. For example, the private owner might insist that only the members of one race enter his private bar that is otherwise open to the public.

We always have to consider whether an individual exercises his private property rights (in this case his intellectual property rights) in such a way that is not harmful to the broader culture that he seeks to engage for private purposes. I believe that the moderator has a shallow understanding of the issue that he seeks to moderate and of the importance of free expression on the Internet and in American culture.
    Easy rule. Keep politics out of posts in our photography forum. You want to debate politics, find a political forum. You're barking up the wrong tree trying to change the rule here.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Nobody who has ever worked around a dairy farm can stand the thought of milk anyway.
    Not true - the majority take a lot of pride in what they produce. What they can't stand is the watered down stuff that passes for milk in the store

...in any case, it doesn't belong anywhere near a cup of coffee

at least SOME people still value you because of your experience and rep OP.

trying being a young guy and trying to convince people to pay you. at this point in my life I honestly, 100% wish I could give back my master's and BA (both in quant field lmao) and just have no debt. then I could get a job at an ice cream parlor or a best buy and use my free time to take photos and play video games. I can turn around a solid factor analysis in a night that conveniently says exactly what it needs to say and you know what my reward is? My same pathetic hourly rate I've had for 2 years with a tiny weekly cap.

I wish I could boycott but even though they aren't going to get someone who can do what I do for anything even close to what I work for, they'd just go without. Meanwhile 70 grand gets dropped on boat rides for asshats who dont intend to buy anything.

I feel truly sorry for my peers trying to enter photography as a profession. I would rather do some dumb risky **** like trying to play video games professionally; at least that seems to have some future.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    Easy rule. Keep politics out of posts in our photography forum. You want to debate politics, find a political forum. You're barking up the wrong tree trying to change the rule here.

Better cut the whole thread then. My point at bottom is actually a point as much about reason as it is about politics. Logical and rational expression are okay, right?