Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Challenges of Being a Large Format Portrait Subject (Portraiture)

Re: Challenges of Being a Large Format Portrait Subject (Portraiture)

talk to them constantly, keep them engaged

-Dan

I think it is a balancing act between being talkative and engaging your subject, and being quick to set up but not rushing. The big advantage is that your camera is a conversation piece in itself and most subjects find the process really interesting. The more you let them invest in the process the more enthusiastic and cooperative they will be.
    Also be mindful that the operating window is somewhat narrower for large format portraiture than other formats. If it's a dull day or windy and you are shooting outside, consider rescheduling.

When I did portraits without a flash I always tried to make small talk while I was focusing/composing. That makes the experience less awkward, you gotta baby them a little through the process, because odds are most subjects haven't had this kind of interaction before. Eventually you have to let them know the importance of the picture, either it be how much the picture costs to make or how important the image is to you. Then when you're about to take the picture just tell them to hold still. It's quite different as opposed to a hand camera, you have to be more of a director. The struggle is being demanding of your subject, but also making them feel comfortable in your presence. To make a great portrait you have to walk the tightrope between those two. Using a flash is a little easier, you don't have to rely on them holding still so much, but then you have to do more work (metering for the flash, setting it up etc.) It's definitely a production but well worth the effort!

Then when you're about to take the picture just tell them to hold still

For 3/4 length and a 210mm this may not be a problem, but I once photographed a young lady who would instinctively "straighten up" when I said I was ready to make the exposure. The problem was that when she was relaxed and I was focusing, her eyes were a bit closer to the camera. Every picture was just slightly out of focus because her face moved back as she straightened her posture! I found that the solution was---as mentioned repeatedly above---to maintain a quiet monologue until after tripping the shutter. (With some gentle coaching, she eventually learned to hold her posture from focusing through exposure.)

I know a wetplater that would tell young subjects to look into the lens glass closely, and they might see something if they hold still. With 10 second wetplates, you have to be creative. I tell them they can blink, but don't let their head move around. A few cannot do it, so I use a head brace or let them put their head on their hand, etc.