Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Another UV Light Box (16x20)

Jim Sidinger

Re: Another UV Light Box (16x20)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Brazile View Post
    Just a note to say that I built my own light box using Jim's as a model and am happy with the result. ...

... Jim, thanks very much for publishing your results.

Robert
    Nice job, Robert.
    Glad that a few of my ideas seemed to work out for you; but like Cletus indicated, it's very much a group effort here.
    And don't worry about the wiring error, I'm pretty sure that circuit breakers were invented for amateur 'electricians' like us. :>)
    Best of luck on your Carbon Project, Jim

If either of you are still subscribed to this thread, did you use the F25T8 tubes that are ~17" long for this build? I'm having a hell of a time figuring out what ballast to use with those tubes. If you guys are running F25T8s off the Fulham Work Horse WH5-120-L, then I'll just do that as well.

I'm still around, but have forgotten the details. I'll look when I get home.

Robert

OK, managed to dig up the old order. They are the 18" tubes, but not F25T8, mine are F15T8 BLBs driven by Fulham Workhorse 5 WH5-120-L ballasts. Hope this helps.

From a product description I managed to find with Google: "The EIKO 15526 F15T8/BL is a preheat fluorescent bulb optimized for ultraviolet output at 350 nanometers, a wavelength within the UVA blacklight spectrum.

This 15 watt lamp results in 2.6 watts of ultraviolet at the target wavelength. The bulb is 18 inches long with a 1 inch diameter and a G13 medium bipin base.

Applications for the F15T8/BL include insect traps, curing and photo enlarging."

Robert

Jim Sidinger

I used the Fulham Workhorse WHS-120-L for my build, as I said above, because the specs said they'd work fine and drive 4 bulbs as opposed to 2, thus limiting costs.

Also, the BLB choice was that they had the right spectral output and I found a deal on them (my Home Depot was trying to cut stock). My understanding is that normally these would not be the least expensive alternative. I think someone said that BL's might be spectral-ly fine and normally less $$$.

Best, Jim

A big shot in the dark on this one, but does anyone know the dimensions used for the uv box in this post? Sorry to revive old threads.

Jim Sidinger

Quote Originally Posted by Justin.williams View Post
    A big shot in the dark on this one, but does anyone know the dimensions used for the uv box in this post? Sorry to revive old threads.
    Exterior:
    Width: 26 5/8" Depth: 22" Height: 13 3/8"
    Interior:
    Width: 25 1/8" Depth: 21"

Let me know if you need more info, Jim

That's awesome. Thank you very much. I appreciate it.

Hi, I'm in the process of building a UV box - would someone be able to help me validate my circuit diagram? I messed up in my original design and ended up blowing through a few ballasts ($$$ lesson).

I'm using similar components to those in this build thread -
    * Terminal Block (1) [600v, 30amp]
    * SPST Rocker Switch (2) [125vac, 16amp]
    * Fulham WH-5 120V Ballasts (3) [120vac, 1.15amp]
    * F25T8 UV Tubes (12) [25 watts]
    * Leviton 23351 T8 Shunted Tombstones (24)
    * Grainger 4WT47 Fans (2) [115vac, 0.18/0.21a, 18/20 watts]

I'm concerned about -
    * The switch and the power delivered to the ballasts,
    * The two independent circuits sharing the same "out" (Switch 1. Lamps + Ballasts, Switch 2. Fans). If I calculate this properly ~300-360 watts will be on Switch 1 and ~36-40 watts on Switch 2.

Also, once a fuse is blown on the Fulham ballast, are they replaceable/repairable? I opened up one of the ballast cases and it's covered/sealed in silicon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Circuit Diagram (4).jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	191364

I would recommend an isolation transformer between the wall and your appliance, 120VAC input and 120VAC output while you're testing the design. I would also install an IEC receptacle with a fuse bult-in or install a fuse just after the power receptacle. The switch is rated at 16amp, each ballast draws 1.15amp, and there are 3 ballasts, the fans draw insignificant amount, so you're not anywhere near exceeding 16amp rating of the switch. Why not use a DPDT switch so the fans come on automatically? A cheap ballast could have poor overload protection and would blows itself up if the load is not connected, imbalance load, or high side shorted to ground. Perhaps use a ballast with a better warranty. Do not open the ballast, it's probably beyond your level.

On the schematic, why are the switches connected to neutral?
    Last edited by Jeff T; 17-May-2019 at 11:31.